Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 06:48 PM

Re: Frack Off!

Fracking in Lancashire halted by earth tremor

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-45963315

Drilling for shale gas at Little Plumpton in Lancashire was given the green light on 15 October, despite strong opposition.

Energy firm Cuadrilla said the seismic event on Tuesday, 23rd, measuring 0.4, was extremely low level and could not be felt on the surface.

It halted the process as a precaution on Tuesday, but it has since resumed.
Just last week there were 4 "minor" tremors":

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/n...site-1-9405676

The first tremor took place at 3.48pm on Thursday, 18th, with a depth of 3km and a magnitude of -0.2.

The second and third tremors took place at 10.54pm and 11.44pm that same day, with magnitudes of -0.8 and -0.3.

The final tremor took place on Friday, 19th, at 1.20pm, with a depth of 3km and a slightly increased magnitude of 0.3.
Of course, it could be coincidence and of no significance, but .....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 07:44 PM

Tremors of such tiny magnitude are meaningless.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Tremors of such tiny magnitude are meaningless.
That number of tiny magnitude tremors are significant!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
That number of tiny magnitude tremors are significant!

I would certainly think so if I lived there too, Lindy!

It's all very well for those to say it's fine, when they live at the other end of the country!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You need to do your research LindyLoo.
We MUST get fracking. The sooner the better.
I HAVE DONE MY RESEARCH............far more so than you I believe and I conclude we MUST NOT get fracking.

Renewable energy is the way to go...........solar, tidal, wind!
Climate change IS HERE ALREADY........fossil fuels is NOT the way to go!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 09:26 PM

There are several hundred earthquakes every year in the UK though only 20 - 30 that are felt by people. They are more concentrated in the west of the country. They've been fracking wells in the North Sea for decades now.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

26-10-2018, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I would certainly think so if I lived there too, Lindy!

It's all very well for those to say it's fine, when they live at the other end of the country!
The government is proposing massive changes to planning rules that remove decisions on drilling fossil fuel wells from local authorities and communities and allowing government ministers to decide. These changes would give the fracking industry a green light to drill exploratory wells without planning permission by making them "Permitted Development" (usually used for putting up garden sheds or changing your garage door). It would also open a pathway to change policy on full scale fracking production wells - enabling them to be considered under the National Strategic Infrastructure Projects regime............again allowing government ministers, NOT local authorities to finally give planning permissions to the industry.
The proposed changes are a massive affront to the principles of local democracy and community consultation and have the potential to ruin huge swathes of our countryside!
Lindyloo
isle of wight

26-10-2018, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
There are several hundred earthquakes every year in the UK though only 20 - 30 that are felt by people. They are more concentrated in the west of the country. They've been fracking wells in the North Sea for decades now.
If the number of earthquakes increase significantly once fracking commences.............you'd still say coincidence? Blind or what? I can't believe the "I don't care until it affects me" attitude.

https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/globa...sues/fracking/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 09:37 PM

I don't like the sound of all this at all.

I won't pretend to undertstand it all, but it just makes me feel very uneasy.

I must be getting old because I say to myself . . "Where will it all end?" and I remember my parents saying that about other things years ago.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2018, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
If the number of earthquakes increase significantly once fracking commences
It hasn't.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top