Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 11:17 AM

Re: Serena Williams

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Apparently the cartoon ''looks like an ape with big lips and big hair'' and the umpire is depicted as white even though he is actually Hispanic.
Hispanics are often 'white'or slightly olive rather than pinky !
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
More people on TV this morning banging on about the cartoon being racist.
Bollocks to 'em. Just another bunch of SJWs travelling on the outrage bus.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2018, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Well, Serena's not depicted as black as she really is and Naomi is depicted with blonde hair, but cartoons aren't supposed to be "realistic" .....
And it will depend on the colour reproduction of the cartoon in the paper when it is printed.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 08:45 AM

Carlos Ramos returns to umpire's chair after Serena Williams row as statistics back him up

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2...atistics-back/

As the now famous umpire Carlos Ramos prepared for his first match since the controversial US Open final, a new set of figures showed that men have received almost three times as many code violations as women in the past 20 years of grand-slam events.

Ramos was due to officiate on Friday in the Davis Cup match between Croatia and the United States in Zadar. On Thursday, a photo circulated of him in conversation with Katrina Adams, president of the US Tennis Association, who had been quick to support Serena Williams’s claims of sexist discrimination.

According to one reporter on the scene, Adams was overheard making an apology.

In a TV interview the day after the final, Adams told the ESPN tennis panel that “There’s no equality”.

But her claims were soon undermined by statistics showing that there were 86 code violations handed out to male players at the US Open, and only 22 to women. Now, a more detailed analysis of the past 20 years of grand-slam events has revealed a long-term split of 1,534 to 526.
Now will Williams apologise .....

What about those women who were quick to jump on the "sexist" bandwagon .....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 09:12 AM

Hmmmm...I read this and may change my mind.
Put aside your prejudices and read with an open mind, see what you think.

eg...Williams has also been backed by Billy Jean King and some male tennis pros such as Andy Roddick and James Blake, both of whom point out that they behaved worse on courts and were not disciplined by referees. Bless these feminist men. They get it.

Read more at:

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/...acist-cartoon/
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

eg...Williams has also been backed by Billy Jean King and some male tennis pros such as Andy Roddick and James Blake, both of whom point out that they behaved worse on courts and were not disciplined by referees. Bless these feminist men. They get it.

Read more at:

Read it and it has not changed my mind on the Williams outburst.

She was losing and used a number of things to justify that with things that need looking into off court...not on court.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

Read more at:

Those "opinions" are not borne out by the facts - see my post above yours .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 09:41 AM

What annoys me is that Williams thinks she is there to promote women's rights (and stuff). She isn't, she there to play tennis like everyone else. Women's tennis is well established now and doesn't need someone banging on about it. As for 'the stuff' well we all know what that means.

I think it's a shame. I have always admired both the Williams sisters. To have two top tennis players in one family is amazing. Now, the whole 'sexist, racist' debate has overshadowed her skill as a tennis player, I doubt I would bother watching her play again.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 09:49 AM

She has had long days in the sporting sun a fantastic record .
Better to act with dignity and graciousness than look like a bad sport.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2018, 11:17 AM

I am totally sick of hearing about her now. If ever I had an inclination to watch sport - she has killed it stone dead! Cannot stand spoilt brats!

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top