Join for free
Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 11:16 AM

Re: The Lottery

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The lottery exists as a mechanism to take money from stupid people who don't understand ODDS and thus have no real idea that they are participating in a losing game.

The same people would happily play "the dice game" all day long.

The dice game is this.

I have a single standard 6 sided die. You can roll the die for £1. It costs £1 for every roll you make.

If you roll a 6, I pay you £4 in winnings.

That's it. Very simple game. £1 a go, and if you roll a 6 you win £4

Stupid people who don't understand odds would roll that die all day long. The game is a losing proposition, but dumb people don't realise that.

It is the same with the lottery.

In the original game, when there were just 49 numbers, you would win £10 for matching 3 numbers. The odds of matching 3 numbers is 1 in 54. Only those who don't understand the implications of those odds play the lottery.

Those that do understand just smirk and walk away.
I'm happy to say I'm a Smirker Realist.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I love money honey. X
I'll take it or leave it Sweetie......

PS:- only a bloke with plenty of it would say that....
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'll take it or leave it Sweetie......

PS:- only a bloke with plenty of it would say that....
I was joking.
I didn't win.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 02:52 PM

Hi

I am not stupid, I understand the Maths.

I also waste money by throwing maggots in a river in the hope that I catch a fish.

It is my bit of fun.

My idea of wasting vast amounts of money would be to go on a cruise.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am not stupid, I understand the Maths.

I also waste money by throwing maggots in a river in the hope that I catch a fish.

It is my bit of fun.

My idea of wasting vast amounts of money would be to go on a cruise.
Not all cruises are expensive Swimmy. P&O are doing promotions for next year on short cruises, third and fourth passengers go for £1, cheaper than a lotto ticket.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2018, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Sweets the first time I ever did the lottery I was CERTAIN I was going to win it and the big one, I really was, when I didn't I was absolutely gutted. Mad I know but hey, thats me. I can't even win a damn tenner but I will always do it because you've to be in it to win it LOL.

Ha! Yes, I remember thinking that too. I remember thinking how hard can it be to guess six numbers.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
No matter how large the jackpot is it will never be big enough. Say that you won the 43mill and gave your family members a million quid apiece, they'd still grumble "the tight sod has won £43M and only given us a million quid each!"
Don't tell them I say.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
It is my bit of fun.
This is the eternal excuse of all gamblers. It's just a bit of fun. A bit of entertainment.

Really how entertaining can 5 mins of TV be that repeats the exact same process as every other week? A few balls spinning around a machine and the repeated disappointment that follows when you see you have once again not won the jackpot.

A man like yourself can surely find better forms of entertainment that don't feed money into a corrupt system that leeches money from vulnerable people in society.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I can't even win a damn tenner
No-one can WIN a tenner LQ. The odds are such that on average to win a tenner you'd first have to expend up to £54.

So it's not a "win" even when a tenner comes your way.

Just as with the "dice game" that I outlined. Even when you throw a 6 and get £4 you are still losing.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-11-2018, 08:49 AM

I bet most folks don't even watch the balls juggle anymore.

Page 4 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top