Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 11:11 AM

Caps

Just commented on Mr Magoo's thread on the subject of school caps.

It made me recall a subject I have thought about before: why do we wear hats, caps, headgear?

They were traditionally worn by everyone in the past and, more recently, by women. You see them less often these days, of course. So why do some people wear them?

- As a badge of office or membership of an organisation: police, armed forces, etc.

- As a fashion statement: usually women, but also young people with their baseball caps!

- To keep the rain off? I find an umbrella (or a waterproof hood when it's windy) more effective.

- To keep your head warm (especially if you're bald!). Personally, I have never found that function at all necessary, though they do say that you lose more heat from your head than any other part of the body.

I wonder how many of us old fogeys wear a hat/cap/headgear.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 11:15 AM

Re: Caps

I have always looked awful in a hat so other then a sun hat when abroad, I never bother

I do like a hooded coat though, I cant be doing with umbrellas , its just always too windy here for them
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Just commented on Mr Magoo's thread on the subject of school caps.

It made me recall a subject I have thought about before: why do we wear hats, caps, headgear?

They were traditionally worn by everyone in the past and, more recently, by women. You see them less often these days, of course. So why do some people wear them?

- As a badge of office or membership of an organisation: police, armed forces, etc.

- As a fashion statement: usually women, but also young people with their baseball caps!

- To keep the rain off? I find an umbrella (or a waterproof hood when it's windy) more effective.

- To keep your head warm (especially if you're bald!). Personally, I have never found that function at all necessary, though they do say that you lose more heat from your head than any other part of the body.

I wonder how many of us old fogeys wear a hat/cap/headgear.

I do !!! - not a cap, but a Trilby.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 11:28 AM

Gracie's school uniform includes a hat in the winter and straw boater in the summer. So she is very used to wearing a hat and often chooses to wear one at other times. I wear a water proof hat folds into my pocket when not needed, bit like Vera the detective wears and I have a couple of straw hats I wear in the summer too.

When it's very cold I have several wooly hats that come out to be worn, my favourite has ears and I don't care how silly it looks I love it

Steven however absolutely hates wearing a hat always says they make his head ache so it has to be several below freezing before I can persuade him to cover his head, then it's a plain knitted beanie nothing fussy thank you
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Ooh, posh! My dad always wore a flat cap.

Mind you, he never had a whippet or kept pigeons.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Awwww my grandad always wore a trilby, thanks for the lovely memory!!

I rarely wear hats and don't like myself in them but I have been known to wear a woolly hat in really cold winters, I can't stand my ears being cold.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 11:38 AM

I started wearing headgear routinely when I started countryside walking a few years ago. Umbrellas were an encumbrance and useless in any kind of wind.

At first, I used baseball caps to keep my head warm and dry or prevent sunburn, then moved on to beanies, buckets and flat caps, each being appropriate for location and weather conditions. Now, I feel naked without headwear so my collection includes newsboys, berets, panamas, rain hats, sun hats and, of course, pith helmets ......

My first stop for headwear:

https://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/

May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 11:40 AM

I have 2 Baker Boy hats which I wear a lot in Winter,also a Trilby which I rarely wear….great when I'm having a 'bad hair day' though..
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 11:41 AM

My Dad had a collection of hats from a fez to a top hat, he wore a flat cap for work and a straw hat in Summer or trilby in winter when going out.
I do like to see men in smart hats, fedoras, top hats, deerstalkers...
I have lots of hats, some handmade, I wear a wooly hat with "ears" usually in Winter and a straw hat in Summer. I don't like my head getting cold or scorched.
I don't care how daft I look in them!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ooh, posh! My dad always wore a flat cap.

Mind you, he never had a whippet or kept pigeons.

This is mine, except mine is blue/grey.

https://www.hatsandcaps.co.uk/stetso...t-brown-brown/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top