Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 05:40 PM

Re: Memory foam mattress

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Well that would be no good at all for me at the moment with this blimmin sciatica - I'd be like some sort of sad beetle on its back waving arms and legs helplessly!
I know people say they are good but I can't get beyond water, gloop gloop noises, isn't it cold, what about the cats' claws? etc

Back to memory foam ... Mags - how thick is your topper? Is it a compromise rather than buy a whole new matress? Did you try Tempur (they're terribly expensive?)
My memory foam topper is 2" deep DM, the deeper the foam the more comfortable they are. I paid about £112 for it about 6 years ago and I have it on top of a posturepedic mattress. I often used to wake up with stiff joints but not anymore. Like Eileen, would definitely recommend them.

I'm afraid I can't remember the make of mine ........I think I should add that to the "One of those moments" thread!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 07:14 PM

Thanks for your input - I think I might get one
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 07:57 PM

DM, I did opt for the topper rather than the full mattress primarily because of price; think mine was about $130.00. Completely satisfied, and yes, they don't need to be flipped over! A boon if you live alone and have the family bad back....
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Thanks for your input - I think I might get one
So did you get one then?

I've only just seen this thread ... and

My OH decided to get a memory foam mattress a couple of years back. I hate the thing ... I can say that as he doesn't come here.
They can take a bit of getting used to. They do give good support but can feel too firm for some.
And hot?
Oh yes... they are hot. I've had to sleep with the window open ever since and keep throwing the covers off.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 07:21 PM

No, haven't got one, thus far..... don't want to rush into these things!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2009, 11:01 PM

I've never had a problem with feeling hot: and remember I live in hot and humid Washington and don't have AC.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2009, 12:08 PM

I have never found my memory foam topper too firm, mine moulds to the shape of my body and gives more support (I'm a backache sufferer).

It has never felt too hot either ......maybe different makes vary?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2009, 12:55 PM

I will be getting a memory foam mattress for my motorhome where they are almost always used. I was recommended to get a 3 inch normal foam with a 2 inch memory foam topper as the best combination. If you are keeping your normal mattress then only the topper is needed.

If you think Tempur are a bit pricey you could try www.raskelf.com they maybe more reasonable in price.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by nero ->
So what does this contrivance consist of ladies ? how heavy is it and is it thinner than an ordinary mattress ?
I think they remember where you have been Nero

I get too hot very quickly and like a cold bed so not sure they would suit me if you sink into them.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2009, 11:36 AM

We have an 8" thick mattress made entirely of memory foam. I can't remember the make of it but it's not a Tempur because that was too expensive. Pricey nonetheless but we really do have special needs here (Mrs. Mart suffers much pain).

We both prefer the mattress to any other and are always glad to get back to it if we go away. It did feel hot in summer but we overcame that by placing a very thin quilted mattress topper between the foam mattress and the sheet. The topper more or less holds in place with corner straps. The only disadvantage is that it shifts around a bit despite the straps. Not a big problem but it always travels in her direction. This leads to friendly accusations of 'topper stealing' from me . It pulls back into place easily enough without taking the fitted sheet off.

We also have large memory foam pillows. We didn't like them at first because we stuffed them into standard sized pillow cases. This meant the foam was compressed and they felt too solid. In the end, Mrs Mart took some pillow cases and sewed in some extra pieces of material. The pillows now give good support without feeling too hard.

So, it did take a while to get things how we wanted them but we sleep very comfortably now.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top