Join for free
Page 8 of 19 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 06:34 PM

Re: Anti Cyclists

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->

Have they been legalised? Thought it hadn't happened (yet), but am happy to be corrected. There was a death last year of some young minor celeb who got killed by an HGV driver who couldn't see her when she was on her electric scooter on a London roundabout, which is what I'm basing my understanding of the law on. AFAIK such scooters are not permitted on roads nor pavements, but are allowed on private land for leisure purposes.

I have definitely seen news reports confirming the decision. Whether it's live yet I'm not sure but I have seen them on roads, no crash helmet, no lights. It's mayhem. It may be a great way to get around but not great for other road users particularly with no rules and no licenses. You can just imagine the bun fights if the cyclists and scooters clash. What if scooters start using cycle lanes?!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 06:37 PM

Annie - see the story here.
Yes I remember that and thought it would lead to a sensible decision to ban them. Apparently not. Imagine if one turns up on an A road or motorway...
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 06:47 PM

On the news this morning, the commentator was talking to some man from the cycling fraternity, (sorry, didn't catch who he was) but a question was put to him --- "Do you think pedestrians are going to feel unhappy about cyclists sharing the only safe spaces in which they have to walk?" His answer?
"Probably" and said with a smirk.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 06:57 PM

Y'see that's one of the few advantages of being a bit long in the tooth. Were expected to often be a bit wobbly on our feet and if a wobble occurs as a cyclist passes close by who's going to get it in the neck? Not us.

I mentioned how my wife administers her form of justice (and she really does!) earlier in this thread. It works.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I have definitely seen news reports confirming the decision. Whether it's live yet I'm not sure but I have seen them on roads, no crash helmet, no lights. It's mayhem. It may be a great way to get around but not great for other road users particularly with no rules and no licenses. You can just imagine the bun fights if the cyclists and scooters clash. What if scooters start using cycle lanes?!
Totally agree. Which is where technology could eventually help to an extent.

Have they been legalised? Thought it hadn't happened (yet), but am happy to be corrected. There was a death last year of some young minor celeb who got killed by an HGV driver who couldn't see her when she was on her electric scooter on a London roundabout, which is what I'm basing my understanding of the law on. AFAIK such scooters are not permitted on roads nor pavements, but are allowed on private land for leisure purposes.
If you are talking about electric scooters and not those electric devices used by older people and those who are disabled to get about, then the answer is probably "no" they are not legal, unless hired from a company hiring these out, or as you write used on private land. Those that can be
hired will comply with the relevant law so can be used on the public roads.

The links below give details:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/escooter-legal-uk

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-...-made-18597839
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 07:43 PM

Ah yes, cycle lanes. We have some around here but no b*gger uses them. They all cycle on the road or the pavement. Complete waste of tax payer's money imo.

As a driver, there is nothing worse than getting stuck behind a Constipation of cyclists. There are two choices, follow them the whole way and turn a ten minute journey into a 30 minute journey or attempt to overtake them putting them at risk.

As for the £50 quid government hand out, what a waste of tax payer's money. I can just see the Gypos lining up to claim their £50 per stolen bike.

Gawd knows where Boris and chums are getting all this spare cash from. This time last year they couldn't afford to keep the hospitals open.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

28-07-2020, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
If you are talking about electric scooters and not those electric devices used by older people and those who are disabled to get about, then the answer is probably "no" they are not legal, unless hired from a company hiring these out, or as you write used on private land. Those that can be
hired will comply with the relevant law so can be used on the public roads.

The links below give details:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/escooter-legal-uk

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-...-made-18597839
hmmm.. well this says otherwise. They are currently doing trials of rental e-scooters in certain parts of the country. As a result of covid the trial was brought forward to the start of July.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...scooter-trials

Not sure how anyone will be able to tell whether an e-scooter is rented or privately owned. But nobody is policing it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 08:44 PM

All cars should be banned within one mile of any town or city centre to make it safer and healthier for cyclists to cycle into town. Obviously public transport would be allowed to carry the elderly and infirm.....This is a vision of Foxy's world.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Mods and Rockers?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
All cars should be banned within one mile of any town or city centre to make it safer and healthier for cyclists to cycle into town. Obviously public transport would be allowed to carry the elderly and infirm.....This is a vision of Foxy's world.....
The overweight ones could cycle into town to collect their take-aways.

Page 8 of 19 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 18 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top