Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 05:13 PM

snail Mail

we must have the worst postal service in Europe. Still waiting for a first large first class letter posted last friday doubt if it will be here tomorrow either 6 days later. Posted in Bournemouth Dorset (comfirmed) I could have walked there and back by now.
Our Royal mail should be privatised , then they might sit up and do some work
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 05:32 PM

Re: snail Mail

I have just had a 'phone call from a friend who has received a package today that I only posted 9:45am yestermorn, Realspeed, so it does sometimes work!

If it were privatised the costs might become even more extortionate than they are already.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 05:39 PM

Since lockdown we've gone from getting a delivery, or at least seeing the postie 6 days a week to 1 or 2 days a week.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 05:47 PM

I am at the moment watching a delivery 6 stops away with Amazon and ordered a couple of days ago.

That is the kind of service Royal mail should give , not the crappy non tracking service they claim to provide. Royal Mail is rubbish and should be scrapped. I am fully expecting it to go to the wrong house like it has many times before because the morons they employ can't read
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 06:04 PM

Privatisation of Royal Mail would be the worst thing to hit the country because firstly and the most important thing about snail mail is no private company want's it. All the profit making features of Royal Mail has been taken away from it and handed to private companies.

Snail mail (letters and small parcels)has been a loss maker for Royal Mail for decades and the government each and every time picks up the tab. If you remember, the government of the time tried to privatise the Royal Mail but no one wanted to take on snail mail because it's not profitable.

IF the governments hands was forced to privatise Royal Mail to off load the yearly debt it produces, the problem becomes which private company is the one that is forced to take on snail mail because someone has to do it? I remember years ago when there was talk of privatising Royal Mail that many feasibility studies were done and it was concluded that the private company forced to take on snail mail would divided the country up into profit and loss areas and this would come down to the micro level of not just counties or cities, but down to the level of towns, streets and even roads. Areas not deemed profitable enough could have one delivery a week or one delivery every two weeks. In some rural areas it could be one delivery per month.

Such a change could change the fabric of how everyone communicates with everyone else. Local councils, companies, businesses, doctors, hospitals, basically every letter that is currently hand written or typed would have to be sent by email. This would mean everyone in the UK would have to have an email address whether they wanted to or not. The result of having an email address would mean everyone in the UK, young and old, having to have an electronic device capable of sending and receiving emails.

Therefore, NO, privatisation of the Royal Mail would be a very very bad thing.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 06:13 PM

I've never had a problem with Royal Mail about anything, I've always had good service from them be it with parcels or letters and they have always been polite.

No complaints from me.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 06:16 PM

Hi

Royal Mail is already privatised.

The Government sold the last of it's Shares in 2015.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 06:17 PM

Heh heh...The Posties at Your local Depot have probably all been warned about You complaining & whinging...so..You may never get another letter/package delivered before Christmas
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

29-07-2020, 06:23 PM

Our packages seem to come very quickly in spite of the current crisis. I have no problem with our postal service, I think it would be much worse if it was privatised.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I've never had a problem with Royal Mail about anything, I've always had good service from them be it with parcels or letters and they have always been polite.

No complaints from me.
I've never had a problem either, but I do think postage to overseas addresses is a horrendous price though.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top