Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 10:44 PM

Re: Huge explosion in Lebanese port

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Wouldn't that be 'Potassium Nitrate' Puddle Duck'? One of the main ingredients of black powder, together with sulphur and charcoal....Made loads of the stuff in the past.....
No OGF, The fertilizer is ammonium nitrate, not pottassium nitrate!
The pottassium nitrate is also called saltpetre, which as you so
rightly say is used to make gunpowder!!

Donkeyman! 👍😁👍
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 10:48 PM

Apparently the fire was orginally in a building next to the store.

OFG, it does say Ammonium Nitrate. Massive amounts of it. I don't know the difference between any of them or what they are capable of , but said to be for making fertilizer.
The white building next to it , also destroyed has the grain reserves and another building destroyed makes the flour for their bread. All gone.

Another being interviewed said the Israel also have a store with the same stuff in it . Also facing the same problems.

If these sort of things are confiscated off ships, then they have to go through the legal process, and I understand that ownership is the most difficult to identify. So customs will not release .
Mind you when we were there,(70s) the customs were as corrupt as any criminal. They wouldn't allow us to dock until they had their 50 bottles of scotch and 1000's of cigarettes. The shipping companies were used to it and held supplies for that very purpose, as being kept out of port cost the companies a fortune . So they were compicit in encouraging criminal behaviour .
Anyway, they got their scotch and fags, we docked and then we got shot at !
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Ammonium Nitrate eh?

Oh well, that's a good few car bombs that won't be going pop, but that explosion, or rather those explosions - I've seen the videos - they were HE - not low velocity stuff.

As for jets, if it were an air strike it must have been based on very good intel. If it were an incursion same applies. If home grown then still very good intel and a very competent individual or group.
Obviously you're an expert on explosives?

The biggest peace time peace time explosion in Australia was when a truck carrying 50 tonnes of ammonium nitrate crashed and caught fire south of Charleville Queensland. As the fire brigade arrived it exploded injuring 8 people and destroyed the railway line, bridge and road.

The blast was felt 30km away in Charleville.

There is no reason why the explosion in Beirut could not be an accident.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 05:45 AM

It is reported that there were 2750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate at the site.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 06:11 AM

One report mentioned a 'mushroom' cloud - I associate those with nuclear stuff. Am I wrong? Will we be told the whole truth anyway?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 08:27 AM

"Beirut blast: Dozens dead and thousands injured, health minister says"

Not good.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
One report mentioned a 'mushroom' cloud - I associate those with nuclear stuff. Am I wrong? Will we be told the whole truth anyway?
That was my initial thought, oh my god please dont say someonev dropped a nuclear bomb. After reading and watching more I'm thinking accid3nt as there was already a fire just before the explotion. I saw lots of little explosions like fireworks first.

I feel so sorry for the people, it was very upsetting seeing all those people covered in blood.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 08:51 AM

The country was on it's knees prior to this. Another suffering from massive inflation , starvation, huge unemployment and a government that's bankrupt.

Last night , Assad instructed his army to take patients acoss the border from Lebanon to Syria for treatment, a country that is also on the brink of starvation, death, massive inflation and lack of medical supplies due to sanctions imposed by US and supported by UK.

France has offered any assistance needed to Lebanon, just a shame that more olive branches can't be handed out . It could be the very time to make a difference and settle some long overdue issues in the area.

But.... that won't happen .
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->

But you must have noticed that there was allready a largeish fire
burning BEFORE the explosion took place, so it looks more likely
to be an accident due to negligence imo?

Donkeyman! 😇😇😇
Film from a boat shows there was a major fire which fire services were attending.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/huge-explo...read-175302944.

Video taken by residents showed a fire raging at the port, sending up a giant column of smoke, illuminated by flashes of what appear to be fireworks. Local TV stations reported that a fireworks warehouse was involved.

The fire then appeared to catch at a nearby building, triggering a more massive explosion, sending up a mushroom cloud and a shock wave over the city.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Has all the hallmarks of a super efficient Israeli pre-emptive strike
hasnt it then Todgy??
Very effective if so as it sets lebanon back several years now and
increases inter arab tensions as well, as if they needed increasing
at the moment
! But you must have noticed that there was allready a largeish fire
burning BEFORE the explosion took place, so it looks more likely
to be an accident due to negligence imo?

Donkeyman! 😇😇😇
No it doesn't. There would be absolutely nothing to be gained by an Israeli strike against Lebanon, in fact the precise opposite.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top