Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2020, 02:53 PM

Re: Blood tests & bruising.

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
When I donated blood there was rarely a bruise left the next day. However, the trained phlebotomist nurse at our GP's practice is hopeless. She almost always manages to leave me with a rather large bruise after drawing blood.
Our GP's nursing assistant is brilliant. Hardly a mark and definitely no bruising.
It just shows that you don't need to be highly qualified to be a very practical person.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2020, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks. Very interesting. I'd never heard of that.
People of Irish origin (like myself) are particularly prone to the genetic mutation - ironically, since Guinness contains a small amount of iron, which will be excreted by normal people but continually absorbed by those with haemochromatosis, who also have to avoid dark leafy greens, podded peas, asparagus, button mushrooms, acorn squash, leeks, dried coconut, green beans, and raspberries.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Still, you could use it to make some black pudding.
Waste not, want not!
No, I can't recycle it ..... that would top me up again .....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2020, 04:28 PM

Hi

Unfortunately common.

They had to use an Ultrasound to get a Green Canula in for my CT Scan.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200803_114941 (1).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	13469  
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2020, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
People of Irish origin (like myself) are particularly prone to the genetic mutation - ironically, since Guinness contains a small amount of iron, which will be excreted by normal people but continually absorbed by those with haemochromatosis, who also have to avoid dark leafy greens, podded peas, asparagus, button mushrooms, acorn squash, leeks, dried coconut, green beans, and raspberries.

No, I can't recycle it ..... that would top me up again .....
No, I didn't mean for you to eat it.
Sell it. Or if no takers, you could offer it to others when you next have some guests.
As you said, a good source of iron for them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2020, 07:19 PM

I hate having blood taken I am a real coward .
Luckily my veins are very visible so they always get them First time .arghhh!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2020, 11:44 PM

Thanks for the replies everybody.
I'm not on any blood thinning drugs but I've been told by a member of my PMR (Polymyalgia Rheumatica) forum that steroids can cause intense bruising so it may be that.

In all fairness to the nurse it didn't hurt any more than usual when she stuck it in.

I've got to go for more blood tests next week.

Eeeeek - I'll give them the other arm!!!
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 02:00 AM

Sorry for you Carol (and others who have had problems) in addition to the occasional blood test I was a blood doner for 25 years and never once had a problem like that.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 12:18 PM

Hi

I think the medication you are on greatly affects things.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I've found it depends who does the blood test. We have 3 nurses in our practice and one of them is brilliant, she never hurts or bruises me and she always manages to find a vein. The other two aren't so good at Phlebotomy!
Exactly right.

After years of monthly Blood Tests, for warfarin managemnet, I am now expert at selecting the right person for the job.

1) Never let a Doctor do it.
2) same as 1.
3) When you do find a really good one, make sure that you set up your next appointments with that one.
I'm off warfarin now & on to Apixaban, but I will remember that one who could do the whole thing (special rolling technique) such that I never felt anything at all!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top