Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 12:27 AM

Re: Swearing / foul language

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I remember, some years ago, someone saying...

Bloody in the bible, bloody in the book.
If you don’t bloody believe me, have a bloody look!
Absolutely true.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 12:37 AM

I usually censor my words here with an asterisk or some other symbol. For the sake of those that may be offended. I also censor myself (A lot of the time) in how I respond to things other people say that I find distasteful and even sickening sometimes. This is on the Voltairean principle.".I hate what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it"... I think that is the only issue for me. If we all try to have even just a little respect for others we will refrain for using bad language among those who we know or should know will be offended by it. Otherwise I don't care. It is part of life and common usuage. On a parallel line, I find gratuitious racism pretty sickening. I see a lot of it here. I refrain from saying anything. There's a lot of things here that I like to read also. I take the bad with the good.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 07:11 AM

If I had a friend who consistently used the F word like the OP's friend - well, I'd lose that friend if a word with her didn't do the trick. It makes me cringe to hear it used unnecessarily, and I think it's the sign of a weak mind and poor education not to be able to substitute a non-offensive word in its place.

As for foul mouthed comedians - if they need to swear to get a laugh then perhaps they should try another way to make a living. Ken Dodd? Wonderfully funny man, no F words in his act.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 07:22 AM

I always wonder what do people who swear all the time do when they are really really mad about something I mean what words do they say then? They have used all those nasty words every day so they have no words left.

I don't swear in my every day language I save those words in case I ever need them
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 07:35 AM

I have a rocking chair ( which I love when I am not tripping over or stubbing my toes on the rockers )
It s a major cause of my bad language .
When I had young children it was Lego .
It has caused generations of children to grow up hearing bad language .
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 08:26 AM

When I swear-I swear in Welsh!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 08:28 AM

Hi

I suppose it is being an Enforcement Officer.

You do not give them any chance to make a complaint and get off.

The nastier they are, the politer you are.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I used all those words the other evening when my retractable hose stopped retracting and went 'clonk'. Unfortunately, my neighbour heard me from her garden so I had to apologise.

I always swear at myself when I do something wrong and I think swearing can be funny in the right moment - jokes etc but as for using it as part of a normal conversation..... nooooooooooo.

I was think the same, i think it depends in what context its used as to whether it offends me or not.

However, the C word is the most vile word and highly offensuve to me and i hatevit when people use it in any context. I cringe especially when I hear a woman use the word.

I wouldnt say you are a snob or any of those things you mention but, we are of old school so msybe a little old fashioned but i would never want to go with the times in this instance because a conversation full of expletives just isn't needed. Wevare quite capable of stringing a sentence together without those f, c and b words.

My dad switches off if he's watching a film that has swear words in ot.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 10:00 AM

I almost never swear! I was brought up by parents who never swore and I guess I just adopted their way . I only ever heard my dad swear once and that was when he didn't know I was under the table and he was in the navy so he knew all the words!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 10:32 AM

Mrs d00d loves to say f*ck a duck, but normally swears in Portuguese, we both do. merde, that's French too.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top