Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 10:43 AM

Re: Swearing / foul language

A great deal of what people believe is "bad language" was perfectly acceptable in the even recent past. Many words were declared bad out of nothing more than snobbishness by having been replaced by more polite society alternatives. Possibly one of the better illustrations of this is to be found in the works (?) of Robbie Burns particularly in his "Merry Muses of Caledonia". His Nine inch will please a lady poem is a typical example.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 11:05 AM

A common phallacy.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
A common phallacy.
Not really. The earliest example is to be found after the French conquest of England in 1066 which resulted in the language of the British court becoming French and as a result it was essential for anyone who wanted to appear other than rude (where that word took on a new meaning) not to use "rude words". Many of the names of things and places changed in order to gentrify them. Names of places such as Uckingfield which was common ground where does were put to a neighbour's bulls as one example. A similar example is the word piddle, originally any small stream.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 11:29 AM

Hi

The C word is still considered offensive and use of it will get you done.

You can tell a Police Officer to F*** Off 3 times before it is a Public Order Offence.

Calling a Female Police Officer the C word will not only result in you getting charged, but will result in pain.

Calling a Female Enforcement Officer, who has no powers of arrest will result in them spending hours to find every single offence you can be charged with and making sure that it happens.

They really seriously object to that, and with good reason.

The Sisterhood is well organised, you will find yourself up against a female prosecutor, and depending on the severity of the offence, female magistrates or a female judge.

Either way, you will not enjoy the experience.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
As for foul mouthed comedians - if they need to swear to get a laugh then perhaps they should try another way to make a living. Ken Dodd? Wonderfully funny man, no F words in his act.
Indeed. None of the old-time comedians: Les Dawson, Tommy Cooper, Morecambe and Wise, Charlie Williams, etc, etc, needed to use bad language.

Of course, I may be forgetting about Bernard Manning & Co.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
When I swear-I swear in Welsh!
Fascinating! Ooh, go on. Tell me some Welsh swear words.
Please. You can PM them!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 11:44 AM

A common phallacy.
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 11:48 AM

Most have or will/do swear.

Swearing aint new went on just as much years ago as today....But we are of a generation who disciplined.... so as kids swearing in church, school, at parents, in the house, at the Police an much resulted in punishment.

I guess many are like me, swear... but know when to switch off.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-08-2020, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
[/B]

I was think the same, i think it depends in what context its used as to whether it offends me or not.

However, the C word is the most vile word and highly offensuve to me and i hatevit when people use it in any context. I cringe especially when I hear a woman use the word.
What? 'Clot'?

I have never really thought of that as being particularly offensive.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 11:50 AM

A common phallacy.
Nice little pun Muddy

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top