Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 08:24 AM

Re: Terms of Endearment!

Originally Posted by Judd ->
You wouldn't last five minutes up here, everyone is called love.
Hi

Spot on Judd.

Here it is chuck.

It causes no offence.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
As long as they don’t call me..’Luv’, ’Tweacle’ or ‘Hun/ Honey’.
Sure thing, my petal

On word which raises my hackle is "Pal".
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Spot on Judd.

Here it is chuck.

It causes no offence.
I sometimes chuck in the odd `Flower` when addressing older ladies provided that they are proper Yorkshire and not some comer-in not versed in Yorkshire-Speak or Yorkshire culture.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 01:59 PM

Round here "our Peg" is used referring to the wife.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 02:04 PM

Thank you for all very interesting and amusing replies.

If a Tradesman greets me with' Hello Gorgeous'.

I make sure I get at least 10% discount.

Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 02:06 PM

I have sometimes been asked why people in the North East use the term "hinny" as a term of endearment, because it sounds so odd. I was told the following by a Professor of Old English when I was in my late teens and doing a course..

It's a variant of the word honey but deriving from "Honey Wine" rather than honey itself. Honey Wine, or more commonly known as Mead (Mead is not actually a wine as it is fermented) is a drink that was gifted to brides and grooms. It was supposed to be provided in sufficient quantity so as to last the couple through the first month of their marriage, giving rise to the term "honeymoon".
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I sometimes chuck in the odd `Flower` when addressing older ladies provided that they are proper Yorkshire and not some comer-in not versed in Yorkshire-Speak or Yorkshire culture.
Well thats nice, isn't it Judd

So Lancashire older ladies are not considered Flowers?
You Sir have hurt my fellings, and Cut Me to The Quick.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I have sometimes been asked why people in the North East use the term "hinny" as a term of endearment, because it sounds so odd. I was told the following by a Professor of Old English when I was in my late teens and doing a course..

It's a variant of the word honey but deriving from "Honey Wine" rather than honey itself. Honey Wine, or more commonly known as Mead (Mead is not actually a wine as it is fermented) is a drink that was gifted to brides and grooms. It was supposed to be provided in sufficient quantity so as to last the couple through the first month of their marriage, giving rise to the term "honeymoon".

A Hinny is a female Donkey - or to be more precise, a female Mule as far as I know.
So not sure I'd be exactly chuffed if I got called a Hinny, no matter how endearing he tried to make it sound.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
A Hinny is a female Donkey - or to be more precise, a female Mule as far as I know.
So not sure I'd be exactly chuffed if I got called a Hinny, no matter how endearing he tried to make it sound.
God Bless wiki!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinny
and
https://animals.mom.me/tell-differen...inny-9758.html

They have it wrong though - 'cos everyone knows a hinny is a delicious variety of scone - that sings when you cook it!! Yummy.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/tradit...-recipe-435854

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2020, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Thank you for all very interesting and amusing replies.

If a Tradesman greets me with' Hello Gorgeous'.

I make sure I get at least 10% discount.

Forget the discount, I'd be paying him a tip

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top