Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 07:12 AM

Re: Karens

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Has anyone noticed how this word has come into being ?
It’s means apparently an obnoxious middle aged white woman .
An odd one that is, obviously an 'internet slang term' as has been commented on and as such the slang dictionary describes this as:

"Karen is a mocking slang term for an entitled, obnoxious, middle-aged white woman. Especially as featured in memes, Karen is generally stereotyped as having a blonde bob haircut, asking to speak to retail and restaurant managers to voice complaints or make demands, and being a nagging, often divorced mother from Generation X."

It is also a recognised term described in the dictionary as:

"1. a member of an indigenous people of eastern Burma (Myanmar) and western Thailand.

2. the language of the Karen, which probably belongs to the Sino-Tibetan family. Its highly distinct dialects have over 5 million speakers altogether."

Such very different meanings too, the English language is an engaging subject when these kinds of word come up. I find it very interesting how languages develop over time.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have encountered a few of these women recently but I didn't know they all had the same name.
Your impression has been tainted by spending too much time on that LTP Thread, with those Termagants.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 07:17 AM

These are the only Karens I have heard of apart from the woman's name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_people
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I once knew a guy who called all females "Doris" not to their face but when he was talking about a woman who was a stranger or acquaintance he would say "this Doris" or "that Doris over there" etc. I had no idea why but then recently I heard the term on "Our Girl" and looking it up it's an army term for a female. Perhaps his dad passed it on.
The first wife of king Herod the (not so) Great was named Doris.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 09:19 AM

I've never heard of it...I just feel sorry for people named Karen Sharon or Tracy perfectly nice names but they have been hijacked to represent other things in popular culture.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 09:49 AM

I find nothing wrong with the name, in fact it was one of the names I was considering for my daughter back in the 70’s.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Has anyone noticed how this word has come into being ?
It’s means apparently an obnoxious middle aged white woman .
It's been prevalent on Twitter for a while now. Just another insult in vogue at the minute, the same as calling our generation `Gammons` especially aimed at Leave voters.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 10:31 AM

One of my Girlfriends is called Karen, I like the name and I get really fed up with the younger generations messing about with the English Language, Karen is a girls name, that's it, end of.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 11:14 AM

I tend to call women "Dear" or "Darlin".

I do remember back in the 70s or 80s occasionally addressing unknown blokes "John", I don't know why or where that originated.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2020, 11:23 AM

My hairdresser, who I hope to see in the near future, is called Karen, oh heck!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top