Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 08:11 AM

Re: Edward Colston

The Mayer of Bristol says this statue was an affront to humanity.

Maybe it was but there is a time and a place for everything .

At this time when the country has been in lockdown for over three months these people have just made a mockery of all the people who have been social distancing and trying to lower the infection rate .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I'm watching the world from afar and wondering what the future is going to be like for our children and grandchildren. Seeing these terrible riots causing dreadful loss and fear . Amidst the covid virus people standing side by side when we oldies have spent weeks alone and thousands have died such dreadful loss . These rioters not a thought or care of spreading the sickness.

Am I selfish for thinking this or are they selfish for not caring they are causing more deaths to come .

I wouldn't know how to be racist it isn't in my energy , what happened to George Ffloyd was appalling, sickening, and that cop and his cronies will get their punishment . But this rioting is out of hand.

I love this world she is beautiful but I feel I don't belong here anymore . This violence frightens me for our children's future .
Well said Susan.
I think of this all the time now this world our children have to live in .
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 08:19 AM

Modern reappraisal
In recent decades, with increasing recognition of Colston's role in the slave trade, there has been growing criticism of the commemoration of Colston in Bristol.
I didn't know this.

The Statue was due to go anyway.

The famous Colston Hall had already changed its name earlier this year.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

08-06-2020, 08:25 AM

Yes you’re right what’s it called now?

Campaigners, many from the city’s African Caribbean community, have called for the hall’s name to be changed because of Edward Colston’s involvement in the slave trade,much of his wealth having come from that trade, and his investments in the Royal African Company.The proposal led to a debate in the pages of the local press; the majority of letters printed favoured retaining the Colston name.
In April 2017, the charity that runs Colston Hall announced that it would be dropping the name after refurbishment is completed in 2020.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...lavery-bristol
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 08:33 AM

Yes you’re right what’s it called now?
It's under wraps, a relaunch coming soon, named after a new "commercial partner" ...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

08-06-2020, 08:36 AM

This is frightening what has our country become?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ter-rally.html
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 08:42 AM

I can no longer be bothered will all this hand wringing and anger (some not even genuine just people jumping on the bandwagon) it can creating division and ill-feeling where none previously existed.

I am at an age where I will go and work in the garden and let it pass me by...
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

08-06-2020, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I can no longer be bothered will all this hand wringing and anger (some not even genuine just people jumping on the bandwagon) it can creating division and ill-feeling where none previously existed.

I am at an age where I will go and work in the garden and let it pass me by...

You are right. It is doing nothing for race relations.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 09:50 AM

Surely the statue of Edward serves as a reminder not to return to those times again, much like the Cenotaph and the war graves. History cannot be viewed from a present day perspective, otherwise every hero and country would have something to be ashamed of.....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
This is frightening what has our country become?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ter-rally.html
It's not "our" country any more. Tribal savagery is in the process of replacing civilisation. It's going to succeed because the very laws that we have introduced now prevent us from fighting back in the way that is now needed.

The first thing would be to accept that all races are NOT equal.

Edited to add - when it comes to Colston they did make good dishwashing machines!

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top