Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 01:53 PM

Re: Ketchup not so saucy

Heinz every time for me!
It might cost a few extra pennies but seriously worth it.
There used to be a little bit of a ritual around the table as I remember. The glass bottles could be somewhat reluctant to release their contents, the trick was to give the bottom a good old slap, too heavy handed and you'd smother your fry up. Too gentle and you got sod all!
Technique was everything!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by oldgreyfox ->
i'm with you on that tabby...
And not because my dad worked at rockware glass for 45 years making glass bottles....mainly because glass retains none of it's contents like plastic does. It sometimes makes me wonder if some modern illnesses could be blamed on the use of plastic food containers...some illnesses sprang up (or got a lot worse) around the same time as plastic did....
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 02:57 PM

Found this on Yahoo: Glass is more impervious to extraneous odors or substances. Plastic can absorb outside contaminants to some degree and hence become stained or tainted with an off odor. The bottle has recycle symbol, find plastic bottle easier to open than glass, losing my grip.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
We bought our usual in a squeezy bottle, it came out runny so replaced top shook it well, made no difference. Taste is odd, it was sealed and within use by date, but consistency is definitely not to our liking.
Take it back, have a moan about it to customer services person, get a refund.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 06:10 PM

Only Heinz for me too, in glass bottle, same with the Salad Cream. Only usually buy Heinz Baked Beans as well, although must admit don't mind Cross & Blackwell beans either. If Heinz did a brown sauce, I wouldn't buy it though because I have only ever used HP brown sauce (in a bottle).
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Only Heinz for me too, in glass bottle, same with the Salad Cream. Only usually buy Heinz Baked Beans as well, although must admit don't mind Cross & Blackwell beans either. If Heinz did a brown sauce, I wouldn't buy it though because I have only ever used HP brown sauce (in a bottle).

I don't know if you have Bush's baked beans in the UK but they are fantastic. There are several flavors of Bush's beans but the 'original' is by far the best.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 08:40 PM

As an experiment we bought some Heinz Ketchup from Lidl and it was horrible when i looked at place of manufactor it said

Made in Germany OMG it was bloody awful...

never been to Lidl since.
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 09:19 PM

I suppose there's something to be said for making your own. I have one of my River Cottage Handbooks beside me at this very moment. Page 195...Roasted tomato ketchup. Hmm...looks delicious, it's not something I've ever tried before.
Might give it a go.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 11:50 AM

maybe our taste changes as we get older, but I find that not much tastes as it did years ago, beans...even heinz,don't taste the same.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 12:49 PM

I'll tell you what annoys me . I bought a plastic bottle of mayonnaise. The first few squirts came out ok but once it got half way down I had to take the blinking lid off , shove a knife into the thing and pull out sqidgy bits then I had to cut the lid off which infuriated me then I chucked 1/4 bottle of mayonnaise away because I couldn't get it out without making a mess .

Glass jars from now on

Grrrrr

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top