Join for free
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 08:55 AM

Anti Cyclists

What do the Anti Cyclists think about the new Government Initiative to get people moving and healthier, and do you think Boris's £50.00 Lycra allowance is a good idea?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 09:19 AM

Re: Anti Cyclists

Another total waste of tax payers money. Far better to make all cyclists pay a road tax and insurance. Two cyclists side by side take up the same space as a car. Also compulsory cycle tests would be a good idea including the highway code test. then issue a licence same as a car so if stopped the police can check
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Another total waste of tax payers money. Far better to make all cyclists pay a road tax and insurance. Two cyclists side by side take up the same space as a car. Also compulsory cycle tests would be a good idea including the highway code test. then issue a licence same as a car so if stopped the police can check
That aspect of cycling has been discussed to death but what about the health aspect of it, which is the one that Spitfire is asking about?

Lots of us are overweight, don't exercise enough and therefore reportedly cost the NHS and taxpayer money.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What do the Anti Cyclists think about the new Government Initiative to get people moving and healthier, and do you think Boris's £50.00 Lycra allowance is a good idea?
A good idea, less smelly Car fumes on the roads too.

Not sure about the £50 Lycra allowance though.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 09:59 AM

I understand the £50 is to get old bicycles refurbished at cycle repair shops.

I would like to see safe dedicated cycle lanes and lots of them.
When I went out last week I was driving on the outskirts of a small village and there were 2 families with small children on bicycles and in one instance the children (age 5 and 6 I guess) were some way ahead of the group . My heart was in my mouth as large lorries from a quarry overtook them.

Lockdown has bought a revival of cyclists but our busy roads and just not built to cope with them safely.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:05 AM

A bike's ok as long as it's got at least a 750cc lump in it. Preferably a long stroke single cylinder beast.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:08 AM

I agree Meg. It's the safety issue that is worrying.
It's great for those who live in areas with cycle lanes but cycling two or more abreast around country roads is dangerous, cycling in groups one in front of the other causes the traffic behind to crawl along, someone will get annoyed and try to overtake them.
If they want to do this we need more cyclust friendly routes.
We get huge lorries through out lanes heading for Weston-super-Mare or the motorway, they nearly squash motorists against walls and hedges any cyclists getting in the way would be toast.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I understand the £50 is to get old bicycles refurbished at cycle repair shops.

I would like to see safe dedicated cycle lanes and lots of them.

When I went out last week I was driving on the outskirts of a small village and there were 2 families with small children on bicycles and in one instance the children (age 5 and 6 I guess) were some way ahead of the group . My heart was in my mouth as large lorries from a quarry overtook them.

Lockdown has bought a revival of cyclists but our busy roads and just not built to cope with them safely.
This is just how I feel
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Making everyone take a test, need a licence and pay road tax would be a brilliant way to get people out on their bikes realspeed....

We should all write to our MP's, and while we're at it we could mention about the amount of walkers, runners, horse riders, and climbers taking up space in the country. We could tax them as well and use the money to tarmac the tracks and bridleways.

It's quite one thing to tax people who are out keeping fit and not placing a burden on the NHS or polluting their environment, but the worst thing is; We are begging the government to levy taxes on everything and that's just what they want....

Why does everything have to come with a cost? You'll have to be licenced and pay to walk on the pavement soon, or walk on the beach, and even the air that we breathe......Flipping madness!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:12 AM

Just adding, we just had notification and voting on re-opening old rail tracks around here, for walkers and cyclists, seems like some routes will be long to coast and places of interest. I hope it goes through!

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top