Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:12 AM

ADVANCE DIRECTIVE/ final wishes

I have a tad of a problem with my health care. I want to complete the form for my "advance directive", which states exactly what I want to happen if I should go into a coma or long term unconsciousness. I can decide if I wish to be fed, or have meds delivered etc. I want pain meds delivered but not to be fed, nor other meds that would keep my heart beating, even if I am brain dead. I have a fear that some part of me would be aware, in pain and that I can not possibly survive.
Problem: I MUST have a friend or relative be the one who is "in charge" of carrying out my last wishes, but I have absolutely no one to do this. All are already passed on.

I can't think of how to get around this medical requirement for the "Advance Directive".
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:25 AM

Re: ADVANCE DIRECTIVE/ final wishes

Could this be your GP? Surely your medical records would be referred to.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:41 AM

Oh goodness. Are you ok bakermen?
This sounds very serious?
Do you not have anyone whom you could trust?
What about an ‘ex?’
Ask your doctor?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:41 AM

Do you have a solicitor that handles your legal stuff, will etc? Possibly they can help.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have a tad of a problem with my health care. I want to complete the form for my "advance directive", which states exactly what I want to happen if I should go into a coma or long term unconsciousness. I can decide if I wish to be fed, or have meds delivered etc. I want pain meds delivered but not to be fed, nor other meds that would keep my heart beating, even if I am brain dead. I have a fear that some part of me would be aware, in pain and that I can not possibly survive.
Problem: I MUST have a friend or relative be the one who is "in charge" of carrying out my last wishes, but I have absolutely no one to do this. All are already passed on.

I can't think of how to get around this medical requirement for the "Advance Directive".
What about your family views?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 11:32 AM

I used to assist people and their families compile advanced care directives when I was working in a dementia care facility. Usually in this country if nobody has no family member or significant other to make decisions for them if they are incapacitated or implement the ACD, we have the Guardianship Board or tribunal to administer the patient's affairs in concert with their solicitor and treating medicos. I assume the US would have a similar body. Best consult with you doctor and lawyer or a community social worker. I have a powerpoint presentation on ACDs but it's too big to post here. YOu are welcome to it if you can suggest a way of me sending it.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 06:50 PM

I have sent an email to a social worker in my clinic. Perhaps she can come up with something ?
I am ok, but I just have "that feeling" that I may need it soon.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have sent an email to a social worker in my clinic. Perhaps she can come up with something ?
I am ok, but I just have "that feeling" that I may need it soon.
Ok. If you feel you need to get your business in order i understand that but try not to become too obsessed with this thought. If that saying that ‘we create what we think about’ is true then it could prove to be a self fulfilling prophecy
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Ok. If you feel you need to get your business in order i understand that but try not to become too obsessed with this thought. If that saying that ‘we create what we think about’ is true then it could prove to be a self fulfilling prophecy

Wise words, Bratti.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 12:58 AM

Hope you're ok Bakerman. Hugs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top