Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:14 PM

Swearing / foul language

I honestly don't know if I am just an old fogey , old fashioned, prudish , snobby or not modern any more . I'll tell you how I'm feeling.

I can say every swear word going if I'm angry , upset or fed up , I can even add the off F word to enhance my feelings when with friends but I never say a bad swear word in front on my granchildren or any child or family members.

Yet a friend says the F word numerous times in her sentences seeming to her normal talk .

I hear the F word and worse on TV at all times when watching dramas / films . Not after 9pm like it used to be .

Neighbours had family round last night and the foul language F . C . B . words were shouted out as if its absolutely normal English. Parents shouting it too . All our gardens are so close together all windows open so it could be heard everywhere . These people and so many others accept it as normal and dont see it as offensive language . I hear it many many times a day as normal .

My sister tells me to get used to it as its modern day life . But I cant , it's horrible to me .

If I bang my toe believe me I can say everything I've learned in my life but I dont bring it in to every day talk .

I'm going to stop going on now , so please can you tell me how you feel when you hear these awful words .

Am I a snob , or a fogey , old fashioned or not with it . Should I get modern .
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:17 PM

Re: Swearing / foul language

Language evolves. The swear words of yesteryear are common parlance nowadays, and the ones we wince at now will become the norm in due course and lose their vehemence.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:18 PM

Keep your standards Susan.
I don't like to hear it either there's no need for it.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Originally Posted by TessA ->
Keep your standards Susan.
I don't like to hear it either there's no need for it.
Indeed .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:34 PM

I completely agree! The one word I occasionally use is 'damn' - an abbreviation of damnation which may be an expletive but is hardly a swear word.

Swear words are common, vulgar and unnecessary. I deplore the way they have become commonplace - especially in TV shows and films - some of the things said in american films are positively vile.

It is bad enough when men use foul language but these days women and even children are doing it - which disgusts me. I will not converse with those who swear all the time. I have standards and will not lower them.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:38 PM

Hi

I do not swear, at others, simply not right

I do swear when I hurt myself or lose a fish.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:43 PM

I used all those words the other evening when my retractable hose stopped retracting and went 'clonk'. Unfortunately, my neighbour heard me from her garden so I had to apologise.

I always swear at myself when I do something wrong and I think swearing can be funny in the right moment - jokes etc but as for using it as part of a normal conversation..... nooooooooooo.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I honestly don't know if I am just an old fogey , old fashioned, prudish , snobby or not modern any more . I'll tell you how I'm feeling.

I can say every swear word going if I'm angry , upset or fed up , I can even add the off F word to enhance my feelings when with friends but I never say a bad swear word in front on my granchildren or any child or family members.

Yet a friend says the F word numerous times in her sentences seeming to her normal talk .

I hear the F word and worse on TV at all times when watching dramas / films . Not after 9pm like it used to be .

Neighbours had family round last night and the foul language F . C . B . words were shouted out as if its absolutely normal English. Parents shouting it too . All our gardens are so close together all windows open so it could be heard everywhere . These people and so many others accept it as normal and dont see it as offensive language . I hear it many many times a day as normal .

My sister tells me to get used to it as its modern day life . But I cant , it's horrible to me .

If I bang my toe believe me I can say everything I've learned in my life but I dont bring it in to every day talk .

I'm going to stop going on now , so please can you tell me how you feel when you hear these awful words .

Well put!
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:44 PM

Susan
Swaering is now the accepted normal way of speaking
Little 5 year old children with angel faces now say F..you in the steet, and their parents encourage it too incuding granny and grandad.
I do not swear or like hearing people swearing
It is like 'Junk Food' of the English Language and i refuse to join in.
How lovely to hear an eloquent orator who can say a whole sentence without one F....!
Unlike most Comediens who include up to ten f...s in a sentence and the audience laugh like hyenas and actally pay good money to see them!!

Theymust be mad!.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-08-2020, 06:52 PM

Hi

An Enforcement Officer for many years swearing is not an option.

It gives them a way out.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top