Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 03:01 PM

Gin & Tonic - Used to be near perfection!

I remember the days when the Gin was, at least, 40 % and the tonic contained noticeable amounts of quinine.

Served with one or two ice cubes.,

In tropical areas it was one of the must have drinks.

In the Supermarket, today, I noticed that the strength has fallen to 37.5% and the quinine has gone from basic tonic.

That magic taste has gone!

They're, obviously, doing it with our health in mind.

Even hiking the price to make sure we don't overdo it.

Very kind of them.

Anyway, I managed to find 40% and quinine after a long search.

Rant over!

Oh!

My Pusser's Rum is 55% and still has chunks of Nelson's Corpse in it!

Here's to your good health, Forum Posters!

Enjoy!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2019, 05:33 PM

Re: Gin & Tonic - Used to be near perfection!

Bombay Sapphire is 40% proof. It's nice and smooth and can be drunk neat, but it costs more than a bog-standard London gin.

A one-litre bottle is on offer at Morrison's for £21 as opposed to the usual £26.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 12:00 AM

I just checked the label on my bottle of Schweppes and bottle of Sainsbury's tonic water and they both contain Quinine Hydrochloride. I have no idea if that is the same as Quinine or not but all I do know is that I drink it on a regular basis to prevent cramp. It still seems to work.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I remember the days when the Gin was, at least, 40 % and the tonic contained noticeable amounts of quinine.

Enjoy!
Australia's Gilbeys Gin is made in the Philippines 90% proof which is over 40% ABV and our Tonic still has quinine in it.

You just live in the the wrong country.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Australia's Gilbeys Gin is made in the Philippines 90% proof which is over 40% ABV and our Tonic still has quinine in it.

More like the wrong continent.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Ain't that the truth.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 06:12 PM

Ohhh....this is a topic after my own heart!

Not only have they messed around with the Gordon's but they have also murdered Pimm's! It used to have a much higher alcohol content. And Drambuie! They changed the bottle and dumbed it down while they were at it

Now all this talk has made me thirsty and I think it may be time to open the bar! Cheers! 🍷
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-12-2019, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
Ohhh....this is a topic after my own heart!

Not only have they messed around with the Gordon's but they have also murdered Pimm's! It used to have a much higher alcohol content. And Drambuie! They changed the bottle and dumbed it down while they were at it

Now all this talk has made me thirsty and I think it may be time to open the bar! Cheers! 🍷
I have never been a fan of Gin but all these new trendy versions are quite interesting.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2019, 06:51 PM

I used to hate gin! I only started drinking it this century (No doubt "Glandpa" would say I have been making up for it ever since )
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-12-2019, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
I used to hate gin! I only started drinking it this century (No doubt "Glandpa" would say I have been making up for it ever since )
Strangely, I like the tonic but not keen on the Gin.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top