Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 07:57 PM

Metformin fears

My son who is type 2 diabetes has just sent me this link which is very worrying.

I've told him he mustn't stop taking his meds and to go straight to doctors to ask to be put on an alternative drug.

Metformin has been used for many years and my dad has been taking it for years but I'm happy to say he hasn't developed cancer.

I have to say this is very worrying and while I don't want to alarm anyone I thought awareness about this should be known.

My husband has been taking metformin for years too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...tEAbmIDMlTcvV8
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 08:21 PM

Re: Metformin fears

I've reduced my Metformin intake - I can control my Type 2 with my diet. My blood sugar hovers around the 4.7mml mark on an empty stomach then rises to around 5.2 two hours after eating, which is acceptable IMO. I have my review in January so perhaps they'll take me of them altogether?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I've reduced my Metformin intake - I can control my Type 2 with my diet. My blood sugar hovers around the 4.7mml mark on an empty stomach then rises to around 5.2 two hours after eating, which is acceptable IMO. I have my review in January so perhaps they'll take me of them altogether?
Judd - ask them if they can put you on the type 2 prevention programme - it could help reverse your situation. Worth asking.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 11:29 PM

Too late for that Tabbs. When I lost my missus, I began drinking and not looking after myself so the weight crept up and put me over the Type 2 threshold (hence the Metformin). It's only lately that I've started getting my life back on track. Cutting out the booze almost completely, and not living on take-ways any more has reduced my risk and put me back in the safe band. I do my own blood tests from time to time, to check.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 12:21 AM

Too late for that Tabbs. When I lost my missus, I began drinking and not looking after myself so the weight crept up and put me over the Type 2 threshold (hence the Metformin). It's only lately that I've started getting my life back on track. Cutting out the booze almost completely, and not living on take-ways any more has reduced my risk and put me back in the safe band. I do my own blood tests from time to time, to check.

You've done well to pull yourself out of it, Judsy.
Many don't.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 01:02 AM

Well done, Judd.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 01:06 AM

Big hugs our Judd, totally understandable, I went the same way after losing my sister. Main thing is we clawed our way back to life again. Your missus and my sister will be looking down us with so much pride.

Love you mate xxx
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 11:08 AM

It's scary isn't it....every drug seems to create another problem I suppose its weighing up the risks and accepting the lesser of evils. Well done from me too Judd
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
It's scary isn't it....every drug seems to create another problem I suppose its weighing up the risks and accepting the lesser of evils. Well done from me too Judd

I agree with that, Summer.
Robert60
New Member!
Tennessee USA
Robert60 is male 

17-11-2020, 01:45 AM

My girlfriend has stage three kidney damage for taking this drug for many years. Her doctor took her off this for good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top