Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 07:00 PM

Re: new apple tree position?

Just ordered the trees both apple, one is a James grieve and the other is called Fiesta (both are M27 )
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2019, 09:14 PM

Years ago I moved a mandarin tree and an orange tree because of a pending house extension.

Before I moved them the fruit was lovely but after I moved them the fruit was only fit for marmalade. They have now gone to meet their maker and been replaced by a lemon tree and chilli plants.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 11:22 AM

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 10:24 PM

Nice work realspeed but I don't envy you your aching muscles. Hope you had a nice hot bath.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Years ago I moved a mandarin tree and an orange tree because of a pending house extension.

Before I moved them the fruit was lovely but after I moved them the fruit was only fit for marmalade. They have now gone to meet their maker and been replaced by a lemon tree and chilli plants.
It must be fabulous to live in a country where you can grow oranges and lemons in your garden. Can you grow avocados and mangoes too?

The most I've managed are three lemons in about ten years from the lemon tree which is in a pot in the bathroom. Thinking of chucking it as it's developing sticking residue on the leaves which seems to get all over the windowsill.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

10-12-2019, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Nice work realspeed but I don't envy you your aching muscles. Hope you had a nice hot bath.
have done but better if I had shared the bath, know what I mean
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-12-2019, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
have done but better if I had shared the bath, know what I mean
Always helps to have someone there to scrub your back!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It must be fabulous to live in a country where you can grow oranges and lemons in your garden. Can you grow avocados and mangoes too?

The most I've managed are three lemons in about ten years from the lemon tree which is in a pot in the bathroom. Thinking of chucking it as it's developing sticking residue on the leaves which seems to get all over the windowsill.
Mangos definitely, my friend has several trees which crop well, I am not sure about Avocados purely because I know no one that does. NSW is pretty much at the southern limit of Mango growth - I don't think you would grow them commercially in NSW.

My same friend has a Jack Fruit tree, every year the fruit starts and every year the August cold westerly winds make them drop off. The poor tree has never had a crop in 20 years - too far south for it.

Funny thing is that my father who lived in Folkestone and had several greenhouses just to grow tomatoes was more than a bit miffed when he visited and saw a tomato plant growing from my compost heap full of fruit.

My chilli plants have a bit of trouble surviving the winter some years - not this year it has been so warm.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

11-12-2019, 07:41 PM

Just had notification the apple trees will be delivered tomorrow
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

12-12-2019, 12:20 AM

So is there something you will do after you plant them to encourage the fruit? I seem to recall my dad putting a cutting from another tree onto a plum tree and the cutting would eventually become a branch?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top