Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 08:35 PM

Re: Do You Give a Tip? How Much? Who To?

Not in this country .... on holiday in poorer yet more civilised eu I do. Everything is too expensive here to begin with, and the service is terrible. Here in London, you'd be lucky to come across anyone in a service industry who speaks English, knows who they are working for and why.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 10:25 PM

I have found tipping practice varies around Australia. On the East Coast - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Gold Coast, tipping is more usual and sometimes expected than in Adelaide or Perth. But the variance isn't great. And it's usually only in restaurants and high end hotels. Cab tips are common too but it's less of an issue now with Uber so prevalent. Unless the service is crap - which is pretty rare in the cities really - we will tip 10% on average. In the big cities here the food culture is so competitive and such a part of the tourist industry, the service is usually top class so most of the time you want to leave a decent tip. We do leastways. When I've been overseas I have often found myself disappointed with what is offered both in terms of quality of food and service. The hype is much bigger than the reality often and one of the worst meals I ever had "thrown" at me with a scowl was right in the middle of Paris. Not only was it rubbish but a tip was expected and when I didn't give one I heard the word "merde" in the mutterings of the waiter as he snatched the bill. Nice one. The tip depends entirely on what is given. No complaints about the USA. To a one everywhere the service was excellent.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
This is actually good info, Right Now. I was wondering what the going rate was over there
Is that the general amount in bars and restaurants, and what about taxis?
Floydy, 10% minimum in bars and restaurants,15% better, and 20% if you are going to frequent regularly.

Taxis are about 10%......although I haven't taken a taxi in about 30 years!! i drive myself everywhere I want to go!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2019, 11:24 PM

It's nice to tip in a restaurant and the service/food would have to be appalling to not leave a tip.

I have occasionally tipped a hairdresser.

But I don't believe in blanket tipping. Plus it's embarrassing if you get it wrong and the whole act of handing over a tip is so high handed. Like throwing scraps. Just the way it makes me feel.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I have found tipping practice varies around Australia. On the East Coast - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Gold Coast, tipping is more usual and sometimes expected than in Adelaide or Perth. But the variance isn't great. And it's usually only in restaurants and high end hotels. Cab tips are common too but it's less of an issue now with Uber so prevalent. Unless the service is crap - which is pretty rare in the cities really - we will tip 10% on average.
I totally disagree with this, Australians don't tip and have no idea how to tip. I have lived in Australia for over 50 years, in that time I have never tipped anyone and know no one who does.

The nearest I have come to tipping is to throw the shrapnel change into a jar or charity box on the counter - who wants a pocket full of change? These days everything is paid by card so tipping isn't even an option.

Even the cruise lines do not have gratuities.

On my first day in Australia I took a taxi from Sydney airport to Cremorne Point, being used to London taxis (who would run over your feet if you didn't tip) I offered the taxi driver a tip he refused it with, "We don't tip in Australia, mate". I knew I was going to like it here.

One of the advantages of award wages is that everybody gets a proper wage, there is no reason to tip anybody.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Floydy, 10% minimum in bars and restaurants,15% better, and 20% if you are going to frequent regularly.

Taxis are about 10%......although I haven't taken a taxi in about 30 years!! i drive myself everywhere I want to go!
Thanks, Right Now
Good advice. As the holiday progresses I reckon I'll settle in with the American way of life.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 09:43 AM

Tipping is out here! The implication is "Here peasant! Allay your poverty". It's almost an insult. I know it's the done thing overseas so we try to do the right thing when we are overseas. When we flew into Lisbon and got a taxi to our hotel, the fare was 14Euro I gave him a 20. He said "Iss too much" so I said for your honesty keep it and he smiled.
Back n the 1960's on my working holiday I was a night porter in a hotel in Torquay. The hotel had a no tips but a 10% service charge on your bill. I thought at first that this was a better system as kitchen staff and cleaners that you never saw got a cut. However during the boring nights I worked out what that 10% should amount to , discussed it with the rest of the staff only to find we were getting only half. The Manager was siphoning off the rest. The staff made a big fuss and the ownewr got rid of him.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2019, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Thanks, Right Now
Good advice. As the holiday progresses I reckon I'll settle in with the American way of life.
It's an easy life to settle in, Floydy. I hope everyone you meet treats you well.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2019, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I totally disagree with this, Australians don't tip and have no idea how to tip. I have lived in Australia for over 50 years, in that time I have never tipped anyone and know no one who does.

The nearest I have come to tipping is to throw the shrapnel change into a jar or charity box on the counter - who wants a pocket full of change? These days everything is paid by card so tipping isn't even an option.

Even the cruise lines do not have gratuities.

On my first day in Australia I took a taxi from Sydney airport to Cremorne Point, being used to London taxis (who would run over your feet if you didn't tip) I offered the taxi driver a tip he refused it with, "We don't tip in Australia, mate". I knew I was going to like it here.

One of the advantages of award wages is that everybody gets a proper wage, there is no reason to tip anybody.
All I can say is we must live on a different "Planet Australia" cobber. Everybody I know tips and I always tip in restaurants. I usually pay by card and I add 10% on to the total unless it was bad service or food. Then I just pay the bill and never go back. I don't use cabs any more. And I have never had anybody knock back a tip. Especially young waiters and waitresses who pool the tips at the end of the night usually. That's the same in good pubs where the food is ace and the service is the same. The point I was making is that if you don't tip here there's not usually a deal made of it.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top