Join for free
Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS's Avatar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
AnnieS is offline
United Kingdom
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 12,281
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
18-09-2019, 11:39 PM
1

Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

So we have had the reduction in real books, we have had a consolidation of social media to one or two platforms, we have one main search engine which limits what we can see on the net to the banal and mediocre.

Now google decides what we can and cannot search, social media apps focus on the most shallow and fleeting soundbites. A forum like this is hard to find - don't you find that strange? You'd think people would want to talk. Blogs have been sidelined because they make individuals money and not the big corporations.

So who agreed this? You wonder about things like Brexit and charting our own destiny, but where does the internet enable us to chart anything? This is all foisted on us and nobody seems to be batting an eyelid.

Am I the only one concerned that we are losing pools of knowledge, creativity and the basic human contact?
Reply With Quote
Judd's Avatar
Judd
Chatterbox
Judd is offline
West Riding of Yorkshire
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 9,741
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-09-2019, 12:25 AM
2

Re: Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

I don't use Google as a search engine, I use duckduckgo.com. it doesn't log your internet searches as Google and Bing do. Having said that, most websites are in thrall to Google analytics so Google keep their eyes on you and store your internet activity using that.

I don't use social media such as Facebook or Twitter so can't comment but I take your point that many people's lives are dominated by using either platform whereby they feel the need to relay the minutea of their lives to all and sundry.
Reply With Quote
Omah's Avatar
Omah
Chatterbox
Omah is offline
York, UK
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 5,086
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-09-2019, 01:18 AM
3

Re: Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

With regard to social media and search engines, there IS a choice:

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/technol...l-networks/all

The most popular social networks in the UK

SORTED BY Popularity

54% Facebook
42% Instagram
40% Twitter
38% Google+
34% Pinterest
27% Linkedin
26% Snapchat
18% Reddit
16% Friends Reunited
15% GoodReads
13% Tumblr
10% Myspace
7% Imgur
4% Faceparty
3% Vero
https://wolfberrymedia.co.uk/10-best...gines-in-2018/

10 of the most popular search engines still being used in 2018

1) Google
2) Bing
3) Yahoo
4) Ask
5) Baidu
6) Yandex
7) DuckDuckGo
8) Wolfram Alpha
9) AOL
10) Naver
With regard to forums and blogs, they are going the same way as bulletin boards and diaries - to the wall - as newer technologies enhance "human interfacing" .....
Reply With Quote
Muddy's Avatar
Muddy
Chatterbox
Muddy is online now
UK
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 25,262
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-09-2019, 05:10 AM
4

Re: Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

There is an app that enhances selfies and makes everyone look like barbie dolls with strange blank faces
.
Reply With Quote
spitfire
Chatterbox
spitfire is offline
Warwickshire
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 23,429
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-09-2019, 06:39 AM
5

Re: Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

There was a time when to search did not require an engine, you just had to be content with a "local area" granted.
Reply With Quote
Silver Tabby's Avatar
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
Silver Tabby is offline
God's own county!
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 18,847
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-09-2019, 07:57 AM
6

Re: Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
There was a time when to search did not require an engine, you just had to be content with a "local area" granted.
My favourite search engine is our Public Library/Archive!
Reply With Quote
The Artful Todger's Avatar
The Artful Todger
Senior Member
The Artful Todger is offline
Suffolk UK
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 3,821
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-09-2019, 08:14 AM
7

Re: Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
So we have had the reduction in real books, we have had a consolidation of social media to one or two platforms, we have one main search engine which limits what we can see on the net to the banal and mediocre.

Now google decides what we can and cannot search, social media apps focus on the most shallow and fleeting soundbites. A forum like this is hard to find - don't you find that strange? You'd think people would want to talk. Blogs have been sidelined because they make individuals money and not the big corporations.

So who agreed this? You wonder about things like Brexit and charting our own destiny, but where does the internet enable us to chart anything? This is all foisted on us and nobody seems to be batting an eyelid.

Am I the only one concerned that we are losing pools of knowledge, creativity and the basic human contact?

Having a bad hair day?
Reply With Quote
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
swimfeeders is online now
Shropshire
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 18,910
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-09-2019, 08:23 AM
8

Re: Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I don't use Google as a search engine, I use duckduckgo.com. it doesn't log your internet searches as Google and Bing do. Having said that, most websites are in thrall to Google analytics so Google keep their eyes on you and store your internet activity using that.

I don't use social media such as Facebook or Twitter so can't comment but I take your point that many people's lives are dominated by using either platform whereby they feel the need to relay the minutea of their lives to all and sundry.
Hi

I agree, duckduckgo for me as well.

I use Facebook, not my real name, no friends, just great for buying and selling locally.
Reply With Quote
LongDriver's Avatar
LongDriver
Senior Member
LongDriver is offline
West Sussex (coastal)
Joined: Sep 2019
Posts: 181
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-09-2019, 08:28 AM
9

Re: Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

My search engine is DuckDuckGo and as I do not use any so called social media (Face book etc), what restrictions may or may not exist do not bother me. I visit a few good forum style sites which keep me happy with my on-line time and for the rest, while at home, music fits in nicely. Oh yes, and so far I have been sailing along with a compact non smart phone with built in music player without any bother ..long may it be so!
Reply With Quote
d00d's Avatar
d00d
Senior Member
d00d is online now
London, UK
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 4,038
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
19-09-2019, 08:38 AM
10

Re: Sick of social media and search engines and other dumbing down processes

The most popular social networks in the UK

SORTED BY Popularity

54% Facebook
42% Instagram
40% Twitter
38% Google+
34% Pinterest
27% Linkedin
26% Snapchat
18% Reddit
16% Friends Reunited
15% GoodReads
13% Tumblr
10% Myspace
7% Imgur
4% Faceparty
3% Vero
I don't use, or contribute to, any of these. Except I did use Google+ for storing photos, but that is no longer and has morphed into Google Photos.

I'm a member of two camera/photography sites, one architectural, one local community and this place.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.