Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
david
Hervey Bay Australia
david is male  david has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 12:11 AM

Drugs

While watching a current affair program It warned people that there are Many Many more people die or end up with horific medical conditions from overdosing on PRESCRIPTION DRUGS than on Illegal substances.
It also warned that if a Doctor prescribed you any medication, To have it checked "Second Opinion" beforetaking it.
P.S. I have always thought that Doctors were just glorified Dope Pushers.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 12:27 AM

Re: Drugs

I trust my doctor and wouldn't question her judgement in the drugs she prescribes, overdosing purposely is a different matter and that can only be controlled by the patient unless their GP is aware of it and will limit their prescription.

I don't know why you assume they are drug pushers, it simply isn't true in the UK
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 09:40 AM

It would help if painkillers actually worked, my husband regularly takes more tramadol than he should and adds ibuprofen and paracetamol to the mix too. Only way he can carry on working. Perhaps if they either operated to end his pain or made something that works he would be safer.

Not the GPs fault because he has recommended operating for over 10 years now but the hospital make excuses every time he hits the target they set they move the goal posts. He went from to young to too old in a period of 6 months !
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I trust my doctor and wouldn't question her judgement in the drugs she prescribes, overdosing purposely is a different matter and that can only be controlled by the patient unless their GP is aware of it and will limit their prescription.

I don't know why you assume they are drug pushers, it simply isn't true in the UK
Well said Honey.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
From my own experiences, I don't think GPs go through the thorough checks that they are supposed to do when prescribing drugs.

My last visit to a doctor resulted in me be given a prescription for something that I didn't need because I'd already been prescribed it before.

In my case it was a drug delivery device only but I wondered afterwards how often a drug had been prescribed instead.

I have to trust the doctor to look at my notes for everything he prescribes but I'm having to question things and I'm disturbed by the answers I'm getting at times.

I'm deaf yet a doctor suggested I visit Audiology for a check-up last year for possible NHS Hearing Aids.

I've had NHS Hearing Aids since 1988! stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 03:43 PM

They don't read the notes IME I had an appointment they asked me to go in for and when I arrived I sat down and she said yes what can I do for you, I said you asked to see me and she briefly looked at her screen and admitted she had no idea why but yes it did say a letter had been sent

She decided to check my meds and took me off two of them, I came home and was sick as a dog, what she decided I didn't need was the meds I take to stop the other meds I take making me vomit
Dorothyinoz
New Member!
Florida, US
Dorothyinoz is female 

18-04-2014, 05:30 PM

I think doctors would have us believe that they know more than they do. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in December 2009, even though I was Seronegative meaning that the antibodies for the disease did not show up in my blood. The doctors gave me numerous drugs including Humira and Enbrel which I had to self-inject. Nothing helped me. But the doctors were still pushing these dangerous drugs on me and trying to convince me I definitely had RA.
After about 8 months of feeling worse, I stopped all the drugs. I made some changes in my diet and started to feel a little better. Finally, about 3 years after the diagnosis, I saw a rheumatologist who said he was pretty sure I had fibromyalgia. If I had continued to take the RA drugs, I would probably be dead now.
Doctors are useful sometimes but it's more important to listen to your body.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 10:09 PM

This has always been a very interesting topic to me and I became very interested in Ivan Illich's work

I quote "Within the last decade medical professional practice has become a major threat to health."

Basically Illich was concerned that medicine was killing rather than helping. Interesting concept.

http://jech.bmj.com/content/57/12/919.full
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
This has always been a very interesting topic to me and I became very interested in Ivan Illich's work

I quote "Within the last decade medical professional practice has become a major threat to health."

Basically Illich was concerned that medicine was killing rather than helping. Interesting concept.

http://jech.bmj.com/content/57/12/919.full
Ivan Illich was a philosopher and wrote that in 1974.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 10:28 PM

And? Your point?

Just as relevant today as it was in 1974, still a seminal text on medical sociology courses and frequently quoted.

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Ivan Illich was a philosopher and wrote that in 1974.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top