Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 10:29 PM

Re: Drugs

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
From my own experiences, I don't think GPs go through the thorough checks that they are supposed to do when prescribing drugs.

My last visit to a doctor resulted in me be given a prescription for something that I didn't need because I'd already been prescribed it before.

In my case it was a drug delivery device only but I wondered afterwards how often a drug had been prescribed instead.

I have to trust the doctor to look at my notes for everything he prescribes but I'm having to question things and I'm disturbed by the answers I'm getting at times.

I've had NHS Hearing Aids since 1988! stevmk2
I don't think we should tar every doctor with the same brush, I have the utmost trust and respect for mine, she can read me like a book and has the knack of picking up on things I say and reads between the lines, she often surprises me with her questions but it makes me aware she has most of the answers and I feel safe in her hands.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
And? Your point?
My point is that he was a philosopher with a 'concept'
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I don't think we should tar every doctor with the same brush, I have the utmost trust and respect for mine, she can read me like a book and has the knack of picking up on things I say and reads between the lines, she often surprises me with her questions but it makes me aware she has most of the answers and I feel safe in her hands.
Exactly Honey.

There are doctors and there are doctors.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 10:36 PM

Not true at all.

He conducted extensive research on post-operative side-effects and drug-induced illness.

In many ways continued what Florence Nightingale had started in the Crimean war.

Nobody should have blind faith in the medical profession - always err on the side of caution. I'm lucky in that my GP avoids dishing out drugs for as long as he possibly can.

Originally Posted by Pats ->
My point is that he was a philosopher with a 'concept'
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2014, 10:57 PM

I didn't say I had blind faith in the medical profession, there are good and bad in ALL walks of life, I simply wouldn't put the blame on all health officials, we can only speak from our own experiences and not lump them all together as a bad lot
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2014, 08:52 AM

We are all talking from experience of GPs we know instead of being pedantic and insisting we all explain in each post this is just the GPs we have experienced can we not just accept that as what we all mean ? If you have a good experience then tell us if anyone has a bad one they should be free to do so too. Some of the problems we who are having bad experiences with them is we have no way to complain and when we find a way we are not taken seriously or told we shouldn't be complaining we are lucky to have free health care.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2014, 09:10 AM

As far as I can tell the original poster was speaking about the medical profession/industry as a whole not "well my GP is...... [fill in the blank]". One's experience of their GP is largely irrelevant in the context of this thread. From my experience both academic and personal has been that the original poster has a good point.

The original post read

"While watching a current affair program It warned people that there are Many Many more people die or end up with horific medical conditions from overdosing on PRESCRIPTION DRUGS than on Illegal substances.
It also warned that if a Doctor prescribed you any medication, To have it checked "Second Opinion" beforetaking it.
P.S. I have always thought that Doctors were just glorified Dope Pushers. "

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We are all talking from experience of GPs we know instead of being pedantic and insisting we all explain in each post this is just the GPs we have experienced can we not just accept that as what we all mean ? If you have a good experience then tell us if anyone has a bad one they should be free to do so too. Some of the problems we who are having bad experiences with them is we have no way to complain and when we find a way we are not taken seriously or told we shouldn't be complaining we are lucky to have free health care.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Fair enough but it was only after people spoke of their own experiences we were told not to generalise. Trouble is many of us are having these problems so it always rings true when a post like the first one is posted.
Pats
Lincolnshire

19-04-2014, 03:48 PM

I didn't say I had blind faith in the medical profession, there are good and bad in ALL walks of life, I simply wouldn't put the blame on all health officials, we can only speak from our own experiences and not lump them all together as a bad lot
Exactly Honey.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2014, 02:03 PM

As I've pointed out before, and Pats has echoed, there are doctors and there are doctors.

You appear to have a doctor you can actually trust, implicitly.

I do not feel the same way regarding my doctor, nor the practise.
Yes, I suppose I do tar them all with the same brush but on my own personal experience, does that make me wrong?

There was a doctor called Harold Shipman who was a widely-respected practitioner - need I say more? stevmk2

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top