Join for free
Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2014, 11:29 PM

Re: Ebola in Scotland

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I think it would have spread much faster and further if people hadn't gone there to help .
Absolutely, the health workers are helping to contain the outbreak and also educating the local people who are superstitious. We all owe them our gratitude because it is in all our interests to get it under control.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2014, 11:37 PM

I would also like to point out that hundreds if not thousands of graduates including doctors, who received a free education here, went to rich countries to earn more than they could here, that is far, far more selfish than going to help countries in a crisis. Some of them even return here when they retire and get a state pension, free NHS treatment and heating allowance etc.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2014, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

Unfortuntely there are too many "do gooders" rushing around like headless chickens without any prior thought. That is why this country is in the mess it is in now.

I
I guess my Daughter in law is one of those 'headless chickens' Before she had her children she attended conferences on the control of epidemics and was trained to be part of the front line team when SARS appeared.
I was very proud of her
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 12:38 AM

Everyday I read or hear about our hospitals, especially A&E, coping less and less efficiently with too many patients and not enough time or staff to handle things as they would like.
I can't remember exactly the figures I saw today, but something like a jump from 3.5 thousand cases of Flu usually by now, to over 13,000 already this winter. If we are struggling to cope with things like the annual Flu virus, how would we cope with an Ebola outbreak on top of that?
I think it is almost inevitable it will arrive here at some point, and personally I would be very frightened if it did, and started to spread.
I know nothing about our isolation procedures or emergency measures, but I am sure we are far more knowledgeable and better equipped to care for this person who is ill, than they are abroad. However, we are not infallible, and diseases mutate or become resistant to medicines, and I can understand Realspeed's fears (which he has every right to express), and I suspect a very real fear is behind his postings. Condemning him for writing will not allay this.
I sincerely hope we can help this latest victim of the disease to recover, and that we learn more in the process. I also hope the people looking after her and their families, stay safe themselves. I nevertheless find it quite worrying.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Everyday I read or hear about our hospitals, especially A&E, coping less and less efficiently with too many patients and not enough time or staff to handle things as they would like.
I can't remember exactly the figures I saw today, but something like a jump from 3.5 thousand cases of Flu usually by now, to over 13,000 already this winter. If we are struggling to cope with things like the annual Flu virus, how would we cope with an Ebola outbreak on top of that?
I think it is almost inevitable it will arrive here at some point, and personally I would be very frightened if it did, and started to spread.
I know nothing about our isolation procedures or emergency measures, but I am sure we are far more knowledgeable and better equipped to care for this person who is ill, than they are abroad. However, we are not infallible, and diseases mutate or become resistant to medicines, and I can understand Realspeed's fears (which he has every right to express), and I suspect a very real fear is behind his postings. Condemning him for writing will not allay this.
I sincerely hope we can help this latest victim of the disease to recover, and that we learn more in the process. I also hope the people looking after her and their families, stay safe themselves. I nevertheless find it quite worrying.
Great, understanding post Mups. I totally agree. I could not condemn RS as I also suspect it is real fear. It is very worrying indeed. Yes, the worker was in another country helping out, yes I am in awe of them, but it does not take away the fear that this hellish disease will spread.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

30-12-2014, 09:38 AM

We are months away from having a vaccine available, I think people creating hysteria about one case is unhelpful to anyone .

Anyone travelling from affected countries could be carrying the virus not just health workers, should we ban all travel from affected countries.

Would I be worried if I had been on the plane with this person, not in the least.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Fair comment, Mups. I guess I was a bit harsh, and should replace 'disgust' with 'saddens'. But I disagree that an outbreak in the UK is inevitable. Ebola is not spread easily, particularly where appropriate measures to contain it are possible, as they are in the UK.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 11:13 AM

Tunnel vision from comfortably numb land saddens me somewhat. I hope this brave women gets all the help we can give her, and survives.

Without her type this world would be a far worse place, there are people people, and things people, more of the former and less of the latter would be a start into the right direction.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Fair comment, Mups. I guess I was a bit harsh, and should replace 'disgust' with 'saddens'. But I disagree that an outbreak in the UK is inevitable. Ebola is not spread easily, particularly where appropriate measures to contain it are possible, as they are in the UK.

Fair enough, you would know more about these things than I do. But I do hope you are proved right and me wrong.

It isn't only Ebola that concerns some people here either, I wouldn't be surprised if Rabies enters here again at some point, mainly due to people smuggling animals in illegally and without veterinary checks and appropriate vaccinations.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 11:16 AM

I'm sure she will get all the help she needs and we need to remember that there are survivors of this disease . It's not all doom and gloom. Except for the Ebola orphans. They are the ones I feel for.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top