Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 02:02 PM

Do you beliebve in alternative medicine?

After watching Harley Street on the television I feel very skeptical about alternative medicine.

I paid a lot of money for acupuncture to help with my arthritic knees but it didn't do any good at all.
I also paid for a session in Hypnotherapy for my sleepless nights and again this didn't help.

I have been to Harley Street when my husband had a bad accident at work and the insurers suggested he go there paid by them. Was so looking forward to going but found the waiting room so boring dull and ordinary, and to think people pay thousands to go there for treatment.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 03:02 PM

Re: Do you beliebve in alternative medicine?

I don't believe in most forms of 'alternative therapy'. Many of them have been through trials and found to have a placebo effect at the best and to be completely useless at the worst.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 03:13 PM

Never tried alternative medicine Maursey but what I do use is a lot of herbal medicines and vitimins instead of medicine prescribed by doctors.When I go to The Royal Brompton and tell my consultant he seems quite happy to let me carry on mainly because I am a lot better on them.

Checkout MSM for them knee/ shoulder joints, and Valerian for sleeping.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 03:31 PM

Valerian definitely helps with sleeping, they do higher doses in a single tablet now. You used to have to take loads to have any effect.
But then valerian is just a plant with sedative properties so not so unusual.
I haven't found anything that helps even slightly with other things.
They are very expensive too, but not proven to be of benefit.
I don't believe in homeopathy really and I'm not sure about reflexology etc, haven't seen any proof.
I have had acupuncture which worked ever so well and had real physical effects. I used to feel sedated after having it and had to sleep for a few hours. I had it after having a stomach ulcer to help with the pain which continued for some time afterwards.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 03:53 PM

I'd love to believe in it, but I'm afraid I don't.

Probably completely diffferent - but I'm in awe of the tribal primitive medicines.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 04:05 PM

Whats alternative?

Herbal remedies? Most of the medicines we have today orginated in herbal remedies even the first antibiotics came from that famous mould on a window sill...

Meditation, and deep breathing can help with pain..Ask anyone who has had a baby naturally.
acupuncture works on dogs and dogs dont lie..If they cant use a leg they limp..placebos do nothing for them
Mum had acupunture for bad back pain and it helped a lot..

Waving crystals is a bit much for me although if it works for the individual then fine..
I think the thing is to find what works for the person (while not causing harm) and let the individual decide.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 04:37 PM

I had sciatica ,first time ever . Went to a therapist thinking I was going to have massage on my back , she suggested reflexology , I had to have help getting onto the couch bed , I honestly thought "this could be a waste of money". One hour later I climbed off the bed , no pain, she suggested one more treatment , I went back once more , I've never had sciatica again .
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Whats alternative?

Herbal remedies? Most of the medicines we have today orginated in herbal remedies even the first antibiotics came from that famous mould on a window sill...

Meditation, and deep breathing can help with pain..Ask anyone who has had a baby naturally.
acupuncture works on dogs and dogs dont lie..If they cant use a leg they limp..placebos do nothing for them
Mum had acupunture for bad back pain and it helped a lot..

Waving crystals is a bit much for me although if it works for the individual then fine..
I think the thing is to find what works for the person (while not causing harm) and let the individual decide.
Make you right there Cass we are all different and we all react to medications differently. The only reason I switched to herbal and vitamins was because the drugs weren't working I was getting really bad side effects. Other friends I know with the same illness get along ok with the medicines.
So really its like you say whatever works for you.
Good post by the way.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I had sciatica ,first time ever . Went to a therapist thinking I was going to have massage on my back , she suggested reflexology , I had to have help getting onto the couch bed , I honestly thought "this could be a waste of money". One hour later I climbed off the bed , no pain, she suggested one more treatment , I went back once more , I've never had sciatica again .
I do believe in reflexology - have yer feet massaged and just see how much better you feel
Also, if you are not sleeping try moving yer toes, I keep forgetting to try that
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2015, 05:56 PM

Patsy said...".I do believe in reflexology - have yer feet massaged and just see how much better you feel
Also, if you are not sleeping try moving yer toes, I keep forgetting to try that "......

Must give that a try. Any other remedies for not sleeping?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top