Join for free
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 12:19 PM

Re: Gout! Again....

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Sorry to hear that Bob, I know what it’s like believe me, I hope this ‘session’ doesn’t last too long for you.

My liking the odd drop of port makes me subject to a bit of family slagging, as you know gout was always associated with drinking port in the past for some reason or other, but I used to get it before I ever touched port.
Thanks Jem...
A nice drop of Harveys Bristol Cream has always been my tipple of preference, but I haven't had any since Christmas...
Looks like a call to the Doctors tomorrow....Why do these things always happen on a weekend....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tubby ->
I found that eating a load of cherries really helps. I think you can also get cherry concentrate from health food shops but haven't tried it.
Thanks Tubby, and welcome to the forum....
I like cherries, so I'll have a look in the Tesco tomorrow...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-02-2021, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Tony has suffered from gout over the years. It's totally disfigured his poor feet & now it's hard for him to find shoes that fit.

He still has it but not so often. The drug that helps him is Colchicine. He doesn't take it all the time - just when he feels an attack coming on. A really severe attack will get better in 2 -3 days with this drug. Milder attacks get better overnight.

He was offered Allopurinol but didn't want to take anything on a daily basis.

If you haven't been offered Colchicine you could request it.
Thanks Carol, last year about this time was the first time that I had had a Gout attack this painful. I realise now that in the past I have had mild attacks and didn't associate it with Gout (I know what it feels like now..)

My doctor (Doctor Roberts incidentally, there's a Beatles song in there somewhere..) prescribed me with Colchicine and I only took about three before it subsided, so I know how good they are... After it had settled down she prescribed me with Allopurinol and I've been taking it all year but it doesn't seem to have done me any good, so I might take a leaf out of Tony's book and kick it into the long grass, because I don't like taking medication at the best of times.

Like a fool... I threw the unused Colchicine tablets away...Thinking that I wouldn't need them anymore, but I shan't make that mistake again.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-02-2021, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Sly old grey fox please try Schweden bitters. From any good health store. It’s an overall health tonic but is the bomb for gout and it’s herbal. You won’t be sorry - promise!

Attachment 14717
Thanks Minx, I've taken down the details and Mrs Fox will be on it in the morning..... Herbal is more my kind of thing...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-02-2021, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
My son in law has it , its so bad its now affecting his elbows as well as his feet/knees hes had allopurinol and Colchicine both help a bit but the long term effects are not nice reading.

He avoids pork , red meat and alcohol which helps reduce the attacks but for the pain during an attack he breaks out the happy tobacco ( weed).
Thanks Cass, the prognosis doesn't sound so good....
I tried the Allopurinol and it hasn't done any good, but with Minx's elixir and a visit to my doctor tomorrow, I might be able to keep it under control. However, it's easier to have an audience with the pope than see my doctor these days...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-02-2021, 02:03 PM

Ouch!

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 03:06 PM

Ouch! that looks very painful, Bob
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 03:58 PM

Gosh .. I was about to say the exact same thing.

It must be driving you nuts Foxy. Hope you get some relief soon ... I too was told by a gout sufferer that cherries were a good preventative, whether you eat them fresh, tinned, frozen or opt for drinking the juice.
He swore by it for reducing or minimizing his attacks.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 04:23 PM

oh foxy you poor bugger, that looks so, so painful. Im sorry I dont have a cure of my own but hopefully some suggestions here will help. Let is know what doc says. In the meantime the only way for me to help is by sending a great big safe and virtual
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 04:24 PM

So sorry to hear this, Foxie. However, it reminded me of Mrs. Bouquet and Richard episode I saw recently.
Richard had a fungus, athlete's foot, but Mrs. B thought it too common, so she told everyone he had the gout!! Thoughts folks would take kindlier to his agony if he shared the "disease of kings".
Doesn't remove the pain, but hope it makes you smile.

BTW, now I've seen both of your feet nekkid, I feel a closer bond to you.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top