Join for free
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2012, 10:13 AM

Does a country`s politic/ economy affect your holiday plans?

Just wondered if people will see the current troubles in Greece as a turn off or a chance to get a cheaper holiday?
I would never visit Greece anyway because I`ve been involved with Greek Animal Rescue and the cruelty there is unbelievable.
But these days a lot of holidays are buffered from the `real` world outside - special resorts, gated holiday camps etc, that I suppose you could (as in Jamaica) have 2 weeks without even meeting a local.
So - do you consider the state of the nation before visiting it?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Re: Does a country`s politic/ economy affect your holiday plans?

Yes - I don't do the sun/sea/food holidays anyway and if I go to another country I would want to see and experience some of the country, not just be coccooned in a gated/holiday camp environment being entertained for two weeks.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2012, 11:54 AM

It doesn't affect me as I prefer to go on holiday with the dogs somewhere in the UK
I am not a sun and beach kind of person, battling through rain on a windswept cliff top is more my kind of thing.

If I was going abroad I would not want a 'sanitised' version of the country though.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2012, 04:24 PM

I dislike all inclusive holidays, good for the hotel owners and dreadful for the locals who depend on tourists for their livelihood. All inclusive makes poor people even poorer and so of course more likely to turn to crime.

I have been to some very third world countries and have never stayed cocooned in the hotel, but yes if there was really big trouble in a country, riots, etc, then I would most definitely rethink my plans until things had calmed down, I'm not heroic and I would not like to inadvertently get caught up in any riots or anything else where normally decent people have got caught up in the heat of the moment and turned into vicious thugs.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2012, 06:22 PM

For the last few years most country's have got their political problems so I would strongly advise against going somewhere that has protests going on.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2012, 01:30 AM

I got invied to Iran 14 years agoto some friends who was over in canada
but I def would not go
so if theres trouble there would not go
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2012, 03:26 PM

Absolutely!!! - for many years would not entertain a holiday in Spain whilst Franco and his Fascist thugs were in power, in fact have yet to reverse that decision - still haven't been anywhere near Spain for a holiday. Likewise Portugal during the rule of another Fascist - Salazar!!!
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2012, 07:32 PM

my daughter is going to portugal next year
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2012, 11:38 PM

Portugal is very nice and the people are very friendly.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2012, 11:57 PM

I used to pay a great deal of attention when our government issued travel warnings but lately it seems like they're based on some pretty unlikely scenarios. Mexico was on the "do not travel" list a few years ago because of the drug violence in border communities. What they forgot to mention is that you'd really have to be involved in the drug trade or a federal police officer for the violence to affect you.
Similarly the Phillipines was put on the "black flag" list as recently as last month along with only one other country, Syria. I can understand the warning regarding Syria but for the life of me cannot find any reason they would include the Phillipines.
Bottom line: do your research and make your own decisions.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top