Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 10:04 AM

Re: Tipping? - bus tours

The Reason our Driver was Tipped was because he was so good, he could have driven us to the places we were to visit and left it at that. But he was so good, he had the Mic on all the time and gave a running commentary on everything we passed. Lots of local legends, and history. I learned so much about the Orkney Isles that tour, had us in fits of laughter. We had a terrific day thanks to him. It was well over the call of his duty and we were only to happy to add to his tips.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 10:04 AM

Does anyone still tip their hairdresser?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Ohh Gad, yes I still do.......Guilty. But it's only a couple of times a Year. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it too lol lol.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 10:10 AM

I still tip my hairdresser, I have been using the same girl for the last 15 years, and we have such a laugh it is more like a morning out with friends, because it is a small place just two hairdressers and you see the same faces all the time it is a time for catching up on what has happened in the month since we last met.
Carrie
New Member!
UK
Carrie is female 

09-07-2012, 05:13 PM

I think that the custom of tipping private hire coach drivers grew up in the past when most drivers were paid a pittance regardless of how much the coach company was charging. Also there was a feeling that a good driver who got you back safely without trauma on the way, was worth a consideration.

Carrie
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2012, 05:48 PM

As a veteran of several coach trips of various quality, I start with the premise that I have paid a considerable sum of money for what I consider to be a reasonable level of service. I am not being mean, it's just that I have a level of expectation. If the driver falls below that, the plate will be empty when it comes to me and if he wants to know why, I shall tell him.

That said, if the driver goes beyond my expectation, then I have no hesitation about tipping. If the trip has been interesting, shown interest in his job and those in the coach, makes the trip entertaining and does many of things which he doesn't have to, but does because he is there for our benefit, then I will tip generously. Fortunatly, this has usually been the case.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-07-2012, 12:14 AM

I went on a day trip on a coach a couple of years ago - my first since childhood.

My perception of coach drivers is that they're paid to drive people to their destination, and back. However, if the driver provides some form of entertainment, either in having a laugh with the passengers, pointing out landmarks and sharing historical information, then the driver has provided more than just a trip out, as was the case when I took a trip to the Yorkshire Dales almost two years ago, so yes, I think a tip to a coach driver is the same as tipping a taxi driver if he shows courtesy and a safe journey.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2012, 09:07 AM

When I first came to Australia in 1966 I took a taxi from the airport to my destination and tried to tip the driver (in London if you didn't tip the cabbie he would drive over your feet). He just took the right money and gave me the change, "No mate we don't tip in Australia" and he was right, people rarely do - probably because we have an awards system where wages and benefits are detailed and have the force of law so no one relies on tips for any part of their wage.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 12:34 AM

I just noticed this thread and although it's old, I find it an interesting topic. We live in Australia and Australians rarely tip anyone unless it's for particularly good service. Everyone here gets reasonably decent wages.

But when we come over to the UK (which we do regularly) and take a coach tour from England to Europe, there is an expectation that guides and drivers will be tipped, even to the extent that you will be told in the brochure what to tip and given two envelopes to put it in.

Recently we did a Danube cruise and on the last day received a letter under our cabin door suggesting the amount we should tip AND commenting that he knew Ozzies were poor tippers but could we please consider that the crew were not well paid!!! We were highly insulted.

On a 2 week coach tour of France, with Cosmos, we were told how many Euros a day to tip and it worked out, on a 42 seater bus, to be more than I earned in a week as a teacher. We decided to make a smaller donation and put it in the envelope. This year we are doing a trip to northern Italy and I guess it will be the same. How do others cope with it?

PS It's even worse in the US where you have to tip everyone because they don't get properly paid.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 12:42 AM

It is up to the employer to pay a decent wage. No one ever tipped me for doing my job and tips should not replace a wage.
I occasionally tip a waiter or waitress if the service is good.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top