Join for free
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

30-05-2011, 11:18 PM

Saving your old VHS tapes and stuff

Not sure if this subject has been posted before so apologies if it has.

I have quite a lot of football (what else!) VHS tapes which I have collected over the years.They are a bit special to me as they show some of my clubs more successful matches, which also indicates how old they are.

I kept an old tape player when we last upgraded the TV but find now a lot of the tapes have degraded over time. It is also hard work convincing Mrs H that the male halflings of the tribe will want to keep the collection when I am brown bread.

I started looking at ways to convert the content to DVD

The best method I have found is to use a kit produced by Magix called 'Rescue Your Videotapes Version 2' which I bought from Amazon.
Although I am now trying to enhance the quality of the saved films in avi format before burning the DVD, first impressions are fairly good.

I have already converted a lot of music vinyl and tapes to CD so know how long all these things can take but I am sure it is worthwhile and what else can I find to do on a wet summer.
Always take the strife out shopping I suppose but then again she would not like that at all.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2011, 08:15 AM

Re: Saving your old VHS tapes and stuff

Its a pity Hammer, Magix don't do a, " Rescue Your Football Team Part 2". Just think of all your new dvds for this coming season, full of route one football, care of Senor Allardyce.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2011, 09:42 AM

My husband is in the process of doing exactly the same as you hammer, transferring all his vinyl onto cds, it is a long, time consuming job to transfer everything over but it keeps him quiet. It also means that i get time to myself to read my books,
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

31-05-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
Its a pity Hammer, Magix don't do a, " Rescue Your Football Team Part 2". Just think of all your new dvds for this coming season, full of route one football, care of Senor Allardyce.
Thanks John i liked that, oddly enough the club have been very quiet about it all both on the website and in our usual news emails.

Originally Posted by shirley ->
My husband is in the process of doing exactly the same as you hammer, transferring all his vinyl onto cds, it is a long, time consuming job to transfer everything over but it keeps him quiet. It also means that i get time to myself to read my books,
Shirley, I Just think of all the enjoyment I get from listening to the sounds over again. I am glad the offspring are not here to ridicule my collections as they used to do.

It is they who have no taste or conception of what music is all about.
It is the cleaning up of the audio tracks that take the time but we get there in the end.

Now where did I put that Bill Haley ?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2011, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Now where did I put that Bill Haley ?
Here he is Hammer, enjoy....
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

31-05-2011, 03:40 PM

Good idea Hammer
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

01-06-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Here he is Hammer, enjoy....
Thanks for that plantman, it quite took me back.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

24-08-2011, 03:49 PM

Bumped this thread back up as the saving of old audio tapes and vinyl was mentioned.

I had been using one or two audio editors like the Sony Soundforge to clean up the salvaged sounds.
Programmes like these are very expensive and sometimes over complicated.
I recently started using Audacity, It is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds.There are versions to suit most operating systems, Windows, Ubuntu etc.
I find it very easy to use and have posted the link below for anyone who might be interested.

Audacity

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top