Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2011, 07:26 AM

Re: XP - Arrrrgh

Originally Posted by nero ->
Just spent the last 3 hours deleting all the updates from XP . . then I re-installed the whole thing again . . if you need to re-install XP do not select automatic updates like they recommend . . do it manually . . the most important one is service pack 3 (it was released in 2009) . . . if you install other updates before this one you'll get what I've got . . a pain in the ass.
Never automatically update any program, always read about the updates and then decide.

If you are not sure what an update does then google it and read the replies so that you know exactly what you are putting on your computer.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Never automatically update any program, always read about the updates and then decide.

If you are not sure what an update does then google it and read the replies so that you know exactly what you are putting on your computer.
I usually do Bob, but when you're faced with over 70 updates at a time it can take ages to go through them individually . . . I shall endeavour to persevere . . . @#~*?*~#.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2011, 01:35 AM

The saga continues . . . I lost my temper and re-formatted the hard disc today, re-installed XP without any updates and so far it's OK . . . . ooops what the hell was that . . . .
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2011, 07:35 AM

Dennis, it does sound like you are making the same mistake most people do ie, click to continue before you read what is on the screen properly.

Re- formatting hard drives takes time reading what the computer wants to do. Careful reading is required and not just assuming what the computer is telling you.

I have re-Formatted dozens of hard drives and not had any problems. Slow down and take one step at a time, Rome was not built in a day.
nero
Central Scotland

23-07-2011, 08:22 AM

Well all seems OK at the moment . . . there is an underlying fault with Firefox though . . . when actvated it crashes after 3 seconds, I have to restart it 3 or 4 times.

The automatic updates are switched off, and they're staying switched off . . . you can soddoff Mr gates . . . updates are all about security . . . . anyways, I have the best security available on the internet with 2 really good programs.

I've been up all night surfing with no lock-ups, I was'nt gonna install the dozens of programs I need 'till I was absolutely sure the system was stable . . . I shall go and get abit of kip and install all the odds and ends later . . . Canon, Photoshop, film editing software, etc, etc, . . the list is huge, . . this is why I was so annoyed during the week with the hangups . . . it can take 5 hours to load in all the software I use.

See yez later offers.
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2011, 09:10 AM

. . . anyways, I have the best security available on the internet with 2 really good programs.
That actually could be part of the problem, this massive security could be preventing some functions.

I have found in the past that too much security causes problems.
nero
Central Scotland

23-07-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by RockriderSpain ->
That actually could be part of the problem, this massive security could be preventing some functions.

I have found in the past that too much security causes problems.
Both security programs can be tuned to work with Firefox . . . Firefox has unlimited access to the web . . . I activated it just now to log on here and it was fine . . no hesitation.

The OS had no problems with them before I re-installed it . . I've been running both programs for 12 years.
nero
Central Scotland

03-08-2011, 02:39 AM

Evening all . . . or should I say morning.

I'm back . . . . after 2 weeks of soul searching and head banging off the wall I finally found out what the problem was . . . the hard disc was faulty.

It was a new one too . . . Western Digital . . . now I know this company had a good rep for reliable products in the past, and this is the first time I've had a problem with a new HD, but after making a few enquiries it seems they've let standards slip a bit the last few years.

Last Friday I slung it in the bin and fitted a new SATA disc and the OS went in first time with no problems . . . my system is up and running with no prblems whatsoever . . . . ooops! . . . what the hell's that noise comming from the tower ?.

Only kidding folks . . . normal service has been resumed.
RockriderSpain
Malaga, Spain
RockriderSpain is male  RockriderSpain has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2011, 06:44 AM

It was a new one too . . . Western Digital . . . now I know this company had a good rep for reliable products in the past,...............but after making a few enquiries it seems they've let standards slip a bit the last few years.
That's cheered me up........NOT.

A friend is bringing me a new WD external HD from the UK in a couple of weeks (coz it's half the price I would have to pay here).
nero
Central Scotland

03-08-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by RockriderSpain ->
That's cheered me up........NOT.

A friend is bringing me a new WD external HD from the UK in a couple of weeks (coz it's half the price I would have to pay here).
I wish you well Alan . . . but remember . . . any hang-ups or blue screen lockups . . . sling it in the bin mate.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top