Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2011, 07:22 AM

Re: My Desktop has died

Wonda, is your computer running? (What make is it?)

Is there a red light 'on or flashing' on the computer?

If so then try plugging your computer into another Monitor(TV).

Are you using a laptop now? If so try plugging your laptop into your monitor.

These actions should eliminate one or the other then we will know where to startlooking
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2011, 07:36 AM

Hi Antibrown, the computer is running, not sure of them make though.

The screen is working fine, we have another DT that shares the same screen and that works fine.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2011, 09:06 AM

Has your desk top been knocked at any time?
It does sound like the Graphics card is either loose or failing.

Switch off the DT, remove the side cover, locate the graphics card(if it is a dedicated one)it is the item where the cable for the monitor plugs into, press it into the slot that it is sitting in.

Whilst you have the cover off press the memory cards ( generally on the right hand side of the main mother board, looking like a piano keyboard) so that they are fitted into their slots.
Restart your computer and see what happens.
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2011, 02:12 PM

We have just tried what you have suggested and it is still the same. I did notice however that when we turned it on a green and a red light came on, but the red light went out shortly after, not sure what the significance of that is.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK

31-08-2011, 08:44 PM

Wonda, Where did the Green/Red light come on? Was it on the back of the Graphics card? If so that could be normal depending on the make.

Have you tried changing the cable to one from the other DT?

Did you notice if the fan on the graphics card was running?
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2011, 02:54 PM

I also use AVG but there are new viruses that can still infect your computer. A good computer shop can at least recover your important files and should be able to remove the virus. I certainly would not think that all is lost.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top