Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 08:13 AM

Re: A Question

Originally Posted by d00d ->
... interesting theory. I like it.
Rare maybe but the case posted about did happen.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 09:56 AM

It quite often happens in my teacup.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Got to agree with your logic there, Tabs.

Just read through your link.
It does say quite clearly, "do not use any wired appliances."
Bit scary, but very informative, so thanks for that.
One of the areas I lived was Johannes Burg. High Veld. Much thunder and lightning. That was fine for me and others.

As a rather mundane event was the farm where we lived. One of the 240V cables at our bungalow interrupted. Fierce storm force winds. But no risk of danger.

No doubt others may choose to see it otherwise. And that's OK.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
One of the areas I lived was Johannes Burg. High Veld. Much thunder and lightning. That was fine for me and others.

As a rather mundane event was the farm where we lived. One of the 240V cables at our bungalow interrupted. Fierce storm force winds. But no risk of danger.

No doubt others may choose to see it otherwise. And that's OK.

So are you meaning because your bunglow in Johannesburg was safe, I have no need to unplug anything?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So are you meaning because your bunglow in Johannesburg was safe, I have no need to unplug anything?
I lived on Scotland.
And no need to unplug.
Nor did I in Johannesburg.
Snakes........now that was a different thing................(
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 03:11 PM

I rather deal with snakes than with lightning which is more dangerous!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 03:47 PM

Another thing about lightening strikes on telly aerials:

If your house, flat, etc has a roof mounted aerial and you have taller buildings around you in the neighbourhood, then you should be OK - the lightening will probably strike from there first because the distance to the cloud base is less than from your roof. In our case, our parish church is just about 30yds from our apartment block, is much taller, and has lightening rods connected to its steeples.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

26-07-2020, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I rather deal with snakes than with lightning which is more dangerous!
Depends where. There are just a few adders in Scotland.
But, there were some nasty specimens (and lightning strikes) when I was in Taiwan.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
We have sage growing in a pot by the front door, keeps the evil spirits out.
Garlic for me, we haven’t seen a vampire for bloody ages, I miss waving a cross around and splashing holy water everywhere
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Another thing about lightening strikes on telly aerials:

If your house, flat, etc has a roof mounted aerial and you have taller buildings around you in the neighbourhood, then you should be OK - the lightening will probably strike from there first because the distance to the cloud base is less than from your roof. In our case, our parish church is just about 30yds from our apartment block, is much taller, and has lightening rods connected to its steeples.
Just come across this interesting discussion.

I have never bothered to unplug our TV aerial during electrical storms, although of course I now have since I cancelled our BBC Tax. Even so, we are in a bungalow surrounded by tall trees, so I think they would go first.

Our internet and VOIP telephone are supplied by underground cabling (Virgin Media).

Same with our mains supply, so the nearest a lightning strike can hit us is at our local sub-station which, of course, is well protected. Had it been an overhead mains supply, I might have been a little concerned.

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top