Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2015, 05:26 PM

Happy Saturday Folk

It is 3am Saturday morning and I was woken by an agonising stabbing pain in my left foot (an occasional residual symptom of my back operations). Now of course I can't get back to sleep, hence this message (Alan's late afternoon epistle just doesn't cut it when you can't sleep) .

On Monday I visited the Norman Lindsay Gallery and Museum at Faulconbridge in the Blue Mountains. The sandstone cottage was the controversial artist's home from 1912 until his death in 1969 and where he produced most of his prolific output including etchings, amazing model ships, concrete sculptures and his children's book "The Magic Pudding".

clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2015, 09:26 PM

Re: Happy Saturday Folk

Nice pictures. I´ve never heard of The Magic Pudding but since I like children´s books (well some anyway) I shall now look it up.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2015, 09:49 PM

I always loved Folklore and Fairy Tales, and something I never knew about is we have an Australian to thank for some of the most popular stories.

Joseph Jacobs
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joseph Jacobs
Born
29 August 1854
Sydney, Australia
Died
30 January 1916 (aged*61)
Yonkers, United States
Occupation
Folklorist, critic, historian
Joseph Jacobs (29 August 1854 – 30 January 1916) was an Australian folklorist, literary critic, historian and writer of English literature who became a notable collector and publisher of English Folklore. His work went on to popularize some of the world's best known versions of English fairy tales including "Jack and the Beanstalk", "Goldilocks and the three bears", "The Three Little Pigs", "Jack the Giant Killer" and "The History of Tom Thumb". He published his English fairy tale collections: English Fairy Tales in 1890 and More English Fairytales in 1894 but also went on after and in between both books to publish fairy tales collected from continental Europe as well as Jewish, Celtic and Indian Fairytales which made him one of the most popular writers of fairytales for the English language. Jacobs was also an editor for journals and books on the subject of folklore which included editing the Fables of Bidpai and the Fables of Aesop, as well as articles on the migration of Jewish folklore. He also edited editions of "The Thousand and One Nights". He went on to join The Folklore Society in England and became an editor of the society journal Folklore.[1] Joseph Jacobs also contributed to the.Jewish Encyclopedia.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2015, 10:01 PM

Yeah, but his family probably originated from the UK - they must have been crims and deported . UK is the center of forward thinking - always has been.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top