Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 09:03 AM

Be aware, BT price hikes …

BT announces price hikes — What can consumers do?

"BT is set to move 1.3 million of its home phone customers onto a new call plan in September. The ‘Unlimited Minutes’ plan will mean BT customers are able to make as many landline and mobile calls as they want but will come with a price increase of an additional £54 a year."

Plenty of information about this can be found on the link below. There is no need to be continually subjected to these price increases, other companies do provide similar services and at much more favourable prices. Loyalty counts for nothing these days. Some large organisations just exploit this whenever possible IMO.

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/gu...3c22f16d0ca6ad
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 04:09 PM

Re: Be aware, BT price hikes …

My friend rang to tell me this week she had received an email stating exactly this and without a choice offered , it was part of the new plan . No choice at all . Her contract doesn't end until March next year . She never rings mobiles so why would she need it . Shes stuck with this hike until March
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 04:44 PM

These companies are on the way out and grasping at any money while they can. I had the same sort of bother with Virgin. Left over a year ago and now my Internet is twice as fast and less than half the price I was having to pay Virgin.
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
My friend rang to tell me this week she had received an email stating exactly this and without a choice offered, it was part of the new plan. No choice at all. Her contract doesn't end until March next year. She never rings mobiles so why would she need it. She's stuck with this hike until March
If your friend checks the terms of the increase she may probably find she can end the contract earlier than the official end and without any penalties, depending on how much the increase is in relation to the cost of living. There is some clause relating to this somewhere.

Yes it's indicated under the heading "What can BT customers do? First paragraph:

"What can BT customers do?
BT will contact affected customers by post in advance of the new price structure coming into place on 1st September 2020. If you are notified by BT of a price hike to your subscription and it's above the normal rate of inflation, you may have the right to cancel your contract as long as you do so within 30 days of receiving your price increase notification."

Hope your friend manages to get out of it somehow.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 07:26 PM

Baz , thankyou I will tell her to check this out .
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 08:59 PM

Oh no, I've not heard anything about this.... hope I don't have to be hiked. I thought I could relax till next year.

I so sick and tired of BT upping prices in the middle of contracts. Think I'm in till March next year too. It's such a pain trawling round for alternatives and then getting them to drop their prices when I've found something cheaper. I succeed so I still end up with them.

I think this time I will have big strop if they work this on me.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2020, 09:23 PM

I also had notification of this price hike, but after checking out the alternatives (and there are alternatives) I find that I would have been automatically moved to the most expensive plan. This would have been well outside of my present requirements, so I opted for a lesser plan. It gives me 700 minutes of free landline calls each month at a cost of £4.50 including mobiles that I have not been able to call previously without penalty.

To obtain free unlimited landline calls excluding mobiles used to attract an extra cost which will now be dropped and the £4.50 added. It will probably work out cheaper for me on the new plan....And you don't have to worry about ringing off every hour.
Baz46

04-08-2020, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Oh no, I've not heard anything about this.... hope I don't have to be hiked. I thought I could relax till next year.

I so sick and tired of BT upping prices in the middle of contracts. Think I'm in till March next year too. It's such a pain trawling round for alternatives and then getting them to drop their prices when I've found something cheaper. I succeed so I still end up with them.

I think this time I will have big strop if they work this on me.
I felt the same and vowed that something else they do would have to stop. The other thing they did was to make broadband an 18-month contract but the line rental, is paid in advance for 12-months. That means you are always finding that to change one or other of those, there is always a 'leaving contract early' fee to pay if you wish to leave so they always have the upper hand. Then if I recall correctly they introduced a two-year contract so when this ended and coincided with the end of the 12-month line rental I tried to get a reduced deal. BT wouldn't agree to this, and that was after being with them for 45 years, but not any longer. It was "goodbye BT" and "hello" to a new provider. I changed to EE after finding their deal for broadband was cheaper than BT and there was no line rental at all. I was paying BT £53 a month in total but am now paying EE a total of just £23 a month!

The landline is not used other than it is necessary for broadband, the quality of incoming calls is so bad, due to old inefficient copper cables, that I use a mobile with EE for all outgoing and incoming calls, so that was another rip-off with BT.

One other rip-off with BT before I end this. There was a 'connection fee' of 2p a connected call (14 years' ago I recall). That came from when a human operator manually connected a call. Then that increased over the years to about 23.29p a call (basic 3.3p) and the name was changed to 'set-up' fee. What a con – all calls are automatically connected and have been for decades but still BT made that charge on every single call. Check this out, the table of 'set-up' fees is shown on the link below:

"What's a set-up fee?
It's a one-off fee we charge once the call's connected and the pence per minute rate starts. For example, if a call takes five minutes, you'll pay the set-up fee plus five minutes at the pence-per-minute rate."

https://www.bt.com/help/account-and-...nd-set-up-fees

Apologies, end of rant but BT are, in my opinion, 'rip-off merchants'.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:52 PM

I've just received my new bill from BT after opting for the 700 minutes and unlimited calls to landlines and mobiles, including broadband, and it's a tenner cheaper than what I was paying on my old plan...Well done BT.... Another happy customer...
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 10:29 PM

I've still not heard anything but reading up on it, I think I might be ok because it seems to apply to people who have the 'anytime call plan'.
I only have the w/ends only free.
Fingers crossed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top