Join for free
Page 2 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 02:12 PM

Re: Uk in Recession.

We've been there before - we'll beat it!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Hi

Not in my lifetime ST.

This is a bad one and it will hurt for years.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Said at the start of this crisis, being service industry based, this economy would always be more difficult to resuscitate than a manufacturing one, it may be time to go back to basics, if that is at all possible.
We can't go back to basics. Our manufacturing base has all but gone - destroyed by Maggie who thought we would be fine without it because we would manage as a finance hub and thrive on service industries.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Not in my lifetime ST.

This is a bad one and it will hurt for years.
I agree Swimfeeders and I feel so sorry for the younger generations. They won't even be able to go into Europe easily.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

12-08-2020, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
So who can we hold responsible for this?

The government?
The Chinese?
Covidiots?

Have I missed someone out?
Obviously covid has been a huge problem and it is staggering that we cannot manage for 3-4 months without working. We also have Brexit with IMO will be the final nail in the coffin.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

12-08-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I certainly don't think we will beat this for a long time - and IMO we are progressively going down the tubes. Our time in the sun has long gone.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I certainly don't think we will beat this for a long time - and IMO we are progressively going down the tubes. Our time in the sun has long gone.
Hi

I am quite happy to see us drop out of the G& and move down the list.

This is provided that we spend our money on making life better here.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

12-08-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am quite happy to see us drop out of the G& and move down the list.

This is provided that we spend our money on making life better here.
I agree with you SF, and we have to cut our cloth according to our means, but I think for a lot of people their lives will not get better. As with a lot of things it is always the weakest who suffer most. Trouble is many people who could be capable have grown used to being provided for without much effort and it is now a couple of generations who think like this. They will still expect to be provided for because they don't know much different -it has become their way of life.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2020, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
So who can we hold responsible for this?

The government?
The Chinese?
Covidiots?

Have I missed someone out?

Service Industries and tourism !!

One guess :

Under the total time Labour was in office, manufacturing fell from a share of 18% of the economy in 1997 to 10% by 2010 (the closest available approximations). Up to the end of Tony Blair's premiership it fell to 11% by 2007. No previous stint of government for any party since 1970 saw this level of decline from start to finish.

We also need to take into account the reason for manufacturing's relative decline, which doesn't necessarily mean manufacturing itself has declined at all. For instance, from 1997 to 2010 the service sector rose by nearly 8% points, from 69% of the economy to 77%.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

12-08-2020, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I agree with you SF, and we have to cut our cloth according to our means, but I think for a lot of people their lives will not get better. As with a lot of things it is always the weakest who suffer most. Trouble is many people who could be capable have grown used to being provided for without much effort and it is now a couple of generations who think like this. They will still expect to be provided for because they don't know much different -it has become their way of life.
Hi

Yes, I agree with you on this.

The problem we now have is that highly skilled jobs, like engineers are now going.

We are losing skills we cannot replace.

Estate Agents, like my last EX, do not need a new BMW every 3 Years.

We are now losing highly skilled engineers and Tradesmen who have been poorly paid and unrecognised for decades.

Apprenticeships are highly valued in other Countries, not here.

The likes of OGF, Barry and Judd are disappearing, but we rely on them to keep society running.

Underpaid and ignored.

We are having 40 odd redundancies here, aerospace engineers who export everything they make.

Losing 40 odd Estate Agents would not be an issue.

Page 2 of 32 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top