Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 04:03 PM

Re: UK water supplies?

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It doesn't taste salty at all.
Then there must have been something wrong with the desalinated water I used to drink in Malaysia.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2020, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Then there must have been something wrong with the desalinated water I used to drink in Malaysia.
I can't comment on your experience other than to say I stay in Malaysia several times a year (until the pandemic) and have never noticed a salty taste at all.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I dont know about europe Brucy, but uk also keeps sewage and
stormwater seperate!
Ah! Assman. I was surprised to see you write this as it certainly was not the case when I lived there but on checking it is true that houses built since 1970 do have separate systems though of course that doesn't apply to houses built before that date.

l am surprised that you dont use your rainwater to water your garden!
From your photos your grass sometimes looks a bit dessicated??
What do you use your rain water for then??
If you dont want to drink it, you could use it to flush the loo's !!
If everybody did that it would lessen the demand on the dams?

Donkeyman! 😇😇
Dear Assman, I am deeply touched by your concern for my horticulture. Alas I water nothing in my Darwinian garden, if it survives it stays and why would anyone in their right mind water grass? it only encourages it, nothing gladdens my heart more than a beautifully brown lawn because I know it will not need mowing until it rains again.

As for your other suggestions, commendable as they are there is little incentive for me to install them. We are not in drought and my quarterly water bill is only $60 or £120 a year:

I have to say that their 25c charge for using my credit card bugs me greatly.

BTW the tanks are a left over from the Millennium drought when the federal government paid most of the cost of installing up to 5000litre tanks. I did use the water from my washing machine to water plants and I collected shower water but we are nowhere near that situation now with full or near full dams and several years of water storage.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScanImage02.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	13555  
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Ah! Assman. I was surprised to see you write this as it certainly was not the case when I lived there but on checking it is true that houses built since 1970 do have separate systems though of course that doesn't apply to houses built before that date.

Dear Assman, I am deeply touched by your concern for my horticulture. Alas I water nothing in my Darwinian garden, if it survives it stays and why would anyone in their right mind water grass? it only encourages it, nothing gladdens my heart more than a beautifully brown lawn because I know it will not need mowing until it rains again.

As for your other suggestions, commendable as they are there is little incentive for me to install them. We are not in drought and my quarterly water bill is only $60 or £120 a year:

I have to say that their 25c charge for using my credit card bugs me greatly.

BTW the tanks are a left over from the Millennium drought when the federal government paid most of the cost of installing up to 5000litre tanks. I did use the water from my washing machine to water plants and I collected shower water but we are nowhere near that situation now with full or near full dams and several years of water storage.

I am surprised to hear your dams are large enough to give you
several years of water storage Brucy??
I should check that info out if l were you?
However as you say, you still have the government sponsered tank
standing there doing nothing so you should cope with a small
drought if needed, if it hasnt silted up with roof dust by then??
Anyway, as you say everything is honkeydorey as the dams have
just replenished so you dont have to worry anymore??
As long as the rains come??
Good luck!
Donkeyman! 👍😇😇👍
rcs60h
Bedfordshire, UK
rcs60h is male  rcs60h has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
We are an island for goodness sake - surrounded by water. Why don't 'they' do something useful for a change and build a couple of desalination plants - or is that too logical?
Common Sense, but that seems to be a rarity these days, I do remember an Uncle who worked on desalination in Ayrshire in the 1970's.
Also, as surrounded by water which is tidal, why not harness that power which could be done with all of the workings being underwater and unseen, unlike those monstrous Wind Farms which are a blight on the countryside and coasts and of course can only be used under certain conditions.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 04:30 PM

Every time we have more than five days hot weather l see reports
of various municipalities being unable to supply water through the
pipes??
Are we running out of water?
Or have we got too many new water users connected to the same
pipes that used to supply half the amount of users they do now?
If it is the latter, then l hope the thousands of new houses Boris has
promised will have their own supply pipes connected directly
to the dam and not be just added onto the end of the existing
network?

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔
It’s, once again a British thing, a bit of sun and we have an hosepipe ban, a bit of snow and the whole country grinds to a halt, when it rains the country ends up under 2 foot of water, a tree drops a leaf onto a rail line and the whole transport system shudders to a standstill
When the daffodils come out so do the unions in sympathy and solidarity ....it’s a British thing.

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
It’s, once again a British thing, a bit of sun and we have an hosepipe ban, a bit of snow and the whole country grinds to a halt, when it rains the country ends up under 2 foot of water, a tree drops a leaf onto a rail line and the whole transport system shudders to a standstill
When the daffodils come out so do the unions in sympathy and solidarity ....it’s a British thing.

Your right Vlad!
We are a very slapdash nation!
I think we always have been!
And too many chiefs and not enough lndians !( Oops ! Perhaps l
shouldnt have said that?)

Donkeyman! 😟😟
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2020, 06:45 PM

Your right Vlad!
We are a very slapdash nation!
I think we always have been!
And too many chiefs and not enough lndians !( Oops ! Perhaps l
shouldnt have said that?)

Donkeyman! 😟😟
Cultural appropriation mate...but you are right about being slapdash, we just bimble along making it up as we go
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

18-08-2020, 12:14 AM

I am surprised to hear your dams are large enough to give you
several years of water storage Brucy??
I should check that info out if l were you?
Oh Assman! Am I sure? let's see... The Millennium drought lasted 10 years and Sydney didn't run out of water (despite the government panicking and building a desal plant). However I know that maths is not your strong point but lets do some sums.

The Sydney dams hold a total of 2,581,850 ML but currently hold 2,535,689 ML so we will use that figure. Last week the usage was 9157ML with no water restrictions in place.

2535689/9157 = 277 weeks

277/52 = 5 years assuming it never rains and water restrictions are not put in place during that time.

So Yes, Assman, it will last several years.

But wait! there is more. Sydney water can pump from the Shoalhaven scheme to top up Sydney's water supply. Just recently the Shoalhaven's Tallawa Dam spilled 20 years of supply for the Shoalhaven over its spillway during the recent rain.

Here is a nice map of the Sydney catchment area showing the location of the dams.

I do hope that helps you Assman, you may be no wiser but at least you are better informed.

https://www.waternsw.com.au/supply/G...eys-dam-levels
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

18-08-2020, 12:38 AM

However as you say, you still have the government sponsered tank
standing there doing nothing so you should cope with a small
drought if needed, if it hasnt silted up with roof dust by then?? 👍😇😇👍
I nearly forgot to answer this Assman.

No the tanks are not silted up with dust because the first several litres of water off the roof goes straight down the drain carrying all the dust with it before the water flows into the tank.

It is amazing how quickly they fill until you remember that 1mm of rain falling over 1 sq m is one litre and, speaking very generally, it doesn't drizzle here, it either rains or it doesn't so the tanks filled in the first day of rain after they were installed.

From memory Sydney used to have twice the annual rainfall of London but less than half the number of rainy days. This was in the 1960s and climate change might have varied these figures but I can't be arsed to look them up.

Again more facts for you to absorb, Assman but, hey, what else would you be doing?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top