Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 03:32 PM

Re: The end of america

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
To be fair, if I could own a gun here in the UK I most definitely would. As it is I just stash a couple of nice hammers and a knife or two in hiding spots. Always ready to defend my property and there's nothing wrong with that. By the time Plod made their way here I could have been dead three hours.
IF you could own a gun you would!
That’s the difference right there. Gun laws.
I’m sure there are plenty of Canadians who might also but the laws prevent them from doing so.

Anyway I’m not criticizing America’s. I’m criticizing their gun laws. There’s a difference but I wish I didn’t even get involved in a politics thread. It makes me sound anti American and I’m not.

I’d rather write about what I’m for and I’m all for Americans being happy and safe. I’m sorry for criticizing their laws. Their gun laws are none of my business and I’m going to keep it that way from this day forward.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
The fact that everyone and their dog feels the NEED to own and carry a gun to use just in case they feel threatened in the least is the biggest problem. It’s their right after all. That’s why America is the way it is but no Americans seem to connect the dots. It’s mind boggling

Bratti, make no mistake about it; many Americans do indeed connect the dots. However, we have a Constitution which we live by. The 2nd Amendment to The United States Constitution clearly states: "... the right of the people to, keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". That, Bratti, is the law of the land and I see no possible way it could ever be overturned.

It order to overturn the 2nd amendment would 1st require both houses of congress to pass a law abolishing the 2nd amendment. THEN, 2/3 rds of the states would have to vote to abolish the 2nd amendment. The chance of any of the above happening is zero.

Not looking to start an argument but a bit of history is in order. In the late 1600's the British attempted to make a slave colony out of the American colonies. We declared our independence from Britain and the Revolutionary War began. Shortly after we drove the British out, we passed The Constitution of The United States and shortly after that we began to add amendments to the constitution. The citizens of that time well remembered what the British had done and thus the 2nd amendment was passed into law.

Indeed, the 2nd amendment saved the US from the next time the British invaded the US in 1812. It took two whippings for the British crown to get it though their heads that America would not be a slave to any nation.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Bratti, make no mistake about it; many Americans do indeed connect the dots. However, we have a Constitution which we live by. The 2nd Amendment to The United States Constitution clearly states: "... the right of the people to, keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". That, Bratti, is the law of the land and I see no possible way it could ever be overturned.

It order to overturn the 2nd amendment would 1st require both houses of congress to pass a law abolishing the 2nd amendment. THEN, 2/3 rds of the states would have to vote to abolish the 2nd amendment. The chance of any of the above happening is zero.
I apologize bakerman, surfermom and all the other Americans.
There’s no simple solution and I certainly don’t have the answers . I honestly feel so bad for your country and the last thing you need is my criticism . I’m sincerely sorry.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 03:51 PM

I apologize bakerman, surfermom and all the other Americans.
There’s no simple solution and I certainly don’t have the answers . I honestly feel so bad for your country and the last thing you need is my criticism . I’m sincerely sorry.
No need to apologize. I understand your concerns.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 04:14 PM

No need to apologize, Bratti. All taken in the spirit of good debate.

Just putting my two cents in as the only American (resident) on the thread, so far. Perspective abroad is filtered through a media loaded with hyperbole.

No reason to feel sorry, either; the opportunities for a the best of what life has to offer is here for the picking. Pay the nihilists no heed.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
No need to apologize, Bratti. All taken in the spirit of good debate.

Just putting my two cents in as the only American (resident) on the thread, so far. Perspective abroad is filtered through a media loaded with hyperbole.

No reason to feel sorry, either; the opportunities for a the best of what life has to offer is here for the picking. Pay the nihilists no heed.
Have you spent any time living in other countries?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Sorry, but I am not hopping for the insidious bandwagon of bashing this country. I've got work to do.

It's Labor Day here. I'm off to put the flag out.
Quite right too. It's all to easy to forget that the US is a fine country with mostly fine people in it (just like most countries).

My observations about gun ownership in relationship to over-zealous police are simply a theory which I naturally believe has a degree of credibility about it largely due to the apparant logic that it's based on. Being able to "defend" oneself from those that wish to attack you is a very good thing to have. The problem is that it also allows less stable folk to have easy access to firearms too, which then requires a certain mindset in terms of policing (and hence the characteristics and traits of those who are employed to carry out this self evident increasingly dangerous task). No surprises then that there are a fair few members of your police forces who are somewhat "over zealous" in their approach.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

07-09-2020, 05:52 PM

Thank you!
Hey! Happy Labour Day!
I hope you are having a fabulous holiday!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	5BA9E73E-F44F-4DBE-85B4-04B3E36354EC.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	13655  
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2020, 07:16 PM

Thank you!
Hey! Happy Labour Day!
I hope you are having a fabulous holiday!
Do you guys have alabour party then ???
I thought it was democrats and republicans only?

Donkeyman! 😇😇
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

07-09-2020, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Do you guys have alabour party then ???
I thought it was democrats and republicans only?

Donkeyman! 😇😇
Yes sir, we sure do. We are celebrating it today also.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	745DFF33-5FA1-427C-87A8-13178EA36A01.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	13656  

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top