Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 02:57 PM

Re: Surfermom vs. Hurricane Sally

Ouch Surfermom! That'll take some putting right but, on the other hand, you and yours are safe. Stay that way. Big hugs from across the pond.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Just a quick check in We were hit directly by hurricane Sally. 105 mph sustained winds for almost five hours in a very slow moving storm. We are all ok, and were well-prepared in advance of the storm. Plenty of work ahead, but we are fortunate with good neighbors and friends - everyone pitching in to help one another. Several weeks ahead with no electricity or water/sewage, but it is yet another adventure that makes life interesting. We are saddest about the loss of trees; everything else can be rebuilt. Nature is incredible!

Thought you might be interested in a couple of photos. I would post more, but I am swamped - literally .

(That man is my neighbor, waist high in water, trying to wade to his flooded truck.)
Wow! Surfermom, that is horrendous. So glad you are safe. Sad you have such a lot of clearing up to do. Did the water get into your house too?
Bobby Francis
California
Bobby Francis is male  Bobby Francis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Just a quick check in We were hit directly by hurricane Sally. 105 mph sustained winds for almost five hours in a very slow moving storm. We are all ok, and were well-prepared in advance of the storm. Plenty of work ahead, but we are fortunate with good neighbors and friends - everyone pitching in to help one another. Several weeks ahead with no electricity or water/sewage, but it is yet another adventure that makes life interesting. We are saddest about the loss of trees; everything else can be rebuilt. Nature is incredible!

Thought you might be interested in a couple of photos. I would post more, but I am swamped - literally .

(That man is my neighbor, waist high in water, trying to wade to his flooded truck.)
Omg, SM! This is Bobby (formerly Americano) from CA. Prayers for a speedy disaster recovery!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 11:48 PM

Surfermom I'm so sorry you have had to go through something so devastating but glad you are ok.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 12:06 AM

Like others have said, so glad you are safe Surfermom.
Please take care.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 03:14 PM

Hi, everyone. I am at a cafe an hour from the house that has power! What a luxury!

I read all of your kind messages and appreciate your thoughtfulness. I'll respond to each of you when things settle down.

Everything is going well with sunrise to sunset cleanup. Debris is being divided into separate curbside mountains of organic debris, construction debris, wet household items, electrical items, and hazardous materials. It's backbreaking but satisfying work.

Many, many people lost more than us, and I am trying to take breaks to help with a meal service that feeds the elderly and housebound. Many of them are in a state of shock, not quite sure how to start with their recovery. Taking them meals enables us to do assessments and get them help - generators, tree removal, medications, etc. It is incredible how many people are dropping their own needs to help.

The community is a mess. Boats are in people's yards, houses have collapsed to matchsticks - and we still have no power. Mildew and mold are the next wave of enemies.

Since we have no hail storms, earthquakes, tornadoes, snow, ice storms, and other natural threat here, I suppose the occasional visit of a hurricane is a risk that one chooses to live on the Gulf Coast - and by accepting that risk, I am definitely not complaining. The only heartbreak is the trees and concern for the animals. But, but....we have seen dozens of birds, squirrels, rabbits, dolphins, and yes - an alligator or two in the last few days, so I am very, very uplifted by that!

I will not accost your senses by taking selfies , but will post some interesting photos in a few days.

Take care, enjoy your hot showers, and every functioning light switch!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 03:23 PM

Keeping busy by helping others less fortunate the best solution and much appreciated.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 04:36 PM

You are a star, Surfermom. Helping the community.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 04:50 PM

I have no understanding of the difficulties you are dealing with but I am certain that all the people, you know on OFF, are wishing you well & hoping all of you come through this without too many disasters!

When you have power, please update us on the circumstances. I doubt we can help, but I hope it will be good to know that people many miles away are hoping things will soon be better for you.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 12:53 PM

Great to hear from you Surfermom, and your enthusiasm and resilience shines through in your update. So good to hear that the more vulnerable in you community are being well taken care of, and you are most certainly a credit and valuable asset to your neighbourhood. Every community should have a Surfermom!... . Keep up the good work Surfer, and take care, you are our eyes and ears out there in wind torn Florida, and we all look forward to hearing posts of your progress......x

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top