Join for free
Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 09:02 PM

Re: condolences

I’m not really a huggy person but I definitely would have instinctively done the same, regardless of the risks.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2020, 11:29 PM

The way I understood the OP was nothing to do with people going round deliberately hugging anyone and everyone with gay abandon, with total disregard to Covid rules at all.

It was about Paula not thinking for a few seconds only, and acting instinctively instead - and then worring about it herself, afterwards.

The majority of replies have said that just for that second, they would have probably responded exactly the same, when the bereaved man held his arms out to her.

Yes, it might have been wrong considering Covid, but it was a split second's act of kindness and instinct - hardly a pre-meditated crime!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I’m not really a huggy person but I definitely would have instinctively done the same, regardless of the risks.
Me too Bratti
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 07:43 AM

Exactly! Confronted by friend/neighbour in dire distress it is a perfectly natural instinct to give a comforting hug. No caring person would back away and do a risk assessment.

I really do not like the 'me first' attitude that seems to be rife in the world today - not just about C19 but about everything - it is very wrong - and very sad.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 11:48 AM

Nor me Tabs.
What's stopping people washing themselves, their clothes, snot or tears from their hair if they hug someone briefly?
Scrub themselves with Lysol or Dettol if they're that worried.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by tessa ->
nor me tabs.
What's stopping people washing themselves, their clothes, snot or tears from their hair if they hug someone briefly?
Scrub themselves with lysol or dettol if they're that worried.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 02:18 PM

Paula sometimes our bodies seem to behave without our promoting.
I still feel a pang of embarrassment about the day I attended a neighbours funeral.
I was sitting in an isle seat and as the family followed the coffin out of the church I saw the look of pain on the deceased young daughters face and I reached out and squeezed her arm. I just couldn't help myself and felt awful afterwards invading her space .

The first time I visited my family when lockdown was lifted one of my granddaughters aged 8 disobeyed her father and in tears ran and hugged me, I couldn't not hug her back. Apparently she had been having nightmares that I might die.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 06:16 PM

Yes Meg,I can relate to that, not seeing family was terrible, especially the grandchildren, I haven't seen my son since last Christmas, he's supposed to be coming to see us next month ...he has annual leave, lives in Blackpool, so we know what it's like down there just now, keeping our fingers crossed. we can't be expected to wait and think, should I or shouldn't I , human instinct you want to let folk know you're thinking of them, I wouldn't have it any other way
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 07:15 PM

Having read, and sympathised, with both of the main views put forth, on this thread, I have thought it through and come to the conclusion that the thread is very timely and meaningful.

On the one hand, the hug was very risky and we should learn from that and decide how we might, safely, react to a request for sympathy, should we be faced with such a challenge.

On the other hand, the comfort gained, when others are walking by, is a magic potion.

I see both sides, completely, and I hope, having thought about it in depth, we can all find a "way" which is safe.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2020, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Having read, and sympathised, with both of the main views put forth, on this thread, I have thought it through and come to the conclusion that the thread is very timely and meaningful.

On the one hand, the hug was very risky and we should learn from that and decide how we might, safely, react to a request for sympathy, should we be faced with such a challenge.

On the other hand, the comfort gained, when others are walking by, is a magic potion.

I see both sides, completely, and I hope, having thought about it in depth, we can all find a "way" which is safe.

A good and fair post Ted.

Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top