Join for free
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 03:47 PM

Uplifting, touching story

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/19/pensi...ends-13294520/
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 04:48 PM

Re: Uplifting, touching story

Sorry, Cinderella, that site wants to know too much about me.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 05:26 PM

And me.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 05:49 PM

What a little compassion can do.
A pensioner who suffered the ‘unbearable torture’ of loneliness has been brought to tears by the cascade of public support to his plea for friends.

Tony Williams, 75, from Hampshire, put up a heart-breaking poster in his front window asking for friends after the sudden death of his wife of 35 years, Jo, who died from cancer during lockdown.

The retired physicist said he felt ‘cursed’ by loneliness and often went days without talking to anyone.

He would wait for his home phone to ring but it never did.

But the phone started to ring off the hook after Metro.co.uk shared his story with the world.

The 75-year-old was flooded with messages of support from across the UK and Ireland, the Netherlands, Hungary and even from as far as the US, Canada, Australia and Hong Kong.

Surrounded by cards sent from well-wishers from near and far, Tony said he had been overwhelmed with emotion after the public’s extraordinary response to his plea for friends.

He said: ‘The love and compassion people have shown has actually brought tears to my eyes.

‘People have sent me the most delightful emails.

‘They’ve sent me pictures of their kids, their pets, told me about their aspirations and telling me they are thinking of me.’

Tony said he would take some time getting back to everyone as the flood of messages had crashed his email.

Tony took out two advertisements in local newspapers asking for company but his plea for help fell on deaf ears.

He begged: ‘I’m not looking for someone to listen to me cry – I just want a normal person who I can chat to. I can talk to anybody about anything.’
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 06:26 PM

I remember seeing this story when it was first published. The above written in the metro was the standard piece that appeared in many media outlets but there was some that posted more and a couple posted comments from the mans neighbours who had said that people from the neighbourhood had reached out to him but he was only interested in chatting to people of his own age.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

19-09-2020, 06:39 PM

Guess he is looking for stimulating conversation, as a physicist he might feel uncomfortable with younger people.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Guess he is looking for stimulating conversation, as a physicist he might feel uncomfortable with younger people.
I can appreciate that but that is for us to decide, not the media. The media by not including the remarks from his neighbours means they wanted to portray a specific narrative to the readers, a narrative of a lonely old man who recently lost his wife who just wants people to talk to.

He had people to talk to, his neighbours but as it turns out he wants to talk to people his own age, I can respect that BUT his only wanting to talk to people his own age should be been mentioned in the articles about him but they weren't because if the remarks from his neighbours had been included in the news article, it would change the narrative completely.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top