Join for free
Page 9 of 190 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 > Last »
PennyW
Chester
PennyW is female  PennyW has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 06:06 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Phew, OGF, I'm out of breath after catching up with your recent runs. Good to hear the ticker and those legs are still in full working order!
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 07:06 PM

I'm only in it for his legs!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 08:29 PM

Yes, it's been a breath of fresh air reading about Robert's life . It's my kind of thing. It's good to hear about the great outdoors and all it's splendour. It's easy to get attached to a laptop.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 09:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your support. It's good to see Penny and Freshfields joining us.
I'm hoping to do some fresh stuff as soon as the weather improves [got a few ideas] Here is something to be going on with.....
When I was driving round the country as a courier, my running kit would always be in the back of the van. After making a delivery, I would find somewhere nice to go for a run. On this occasion I had visited 'Barr Soft Drinks' at Cumbernauld, I picked out a likely looking mountain and ran up it. It was called Cross Fell (2929 feet) and It's on the Pennine way. It was sunny when I set off, but the mist came down and I couldn't find the trig point; I know it's somewhere round here......

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 11:23 AM

Entry:- 270215
The idea that sprung to mind when Nom said "Why don't they make Trig Points more interesting?" Was This: For too long I have taken trig points for granted, during my life as a Walker/Runner I have visited more than my share of trig points, and only until recently have I produced photographic evidence of my visit. So I shall study the map [which, like Alice, I love..er the maps I mean, not Alice] and draw an ever increasing circle visiting all the trig points therein. So watch out for OldGreyFox - coming to a trig point near you.
Something to do on the sunny days.....
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 07:45 PM

Am I the only one who had to look up what a trig point is !!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

28-02-2015, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bird ->
Am I the only one who had to look up what a trig point is !!!
Sorry Bird, I was being a bit presumtuous. After a life running and walking around the hills and moors of Britain 'Trig Points' have featured 'high' [no pun intended] on my list of favourite objects visited on my adventures.
One reason they are a favourite is the fact that when you see one it means the climbing is over and you have reached the top. You have probably found some info on them, so I will not bore you with the science, but they will soon be a thing of the past as Lasers have taken over their job and I imagine they will be left to decay. So before they do, I will visit as many as I can before I finally decay.
Although I do not posses a photographic record of all the Trig Points I have visited over the years, I have got a few. I am in the process of collecting them all together and placing them in my album on Over50sForum.
I also had a look at the Ordnance Survey site [the people who were responsible for the placement of all the Trig Points] and even I learned something more about them. For example:- There are 6557 Trig Points in the UK, so I had better get my skates on.....
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 11:09 AM

Morning Robert. Are you out and about today? We're doing the Kirkton Glen, Balquidder walk today. It's only 5 and a half miles, but the scenery will be great. We start at Rob Roy's grave. Have a nice day
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 11:26 AM

Bird, some of us find his legs more interesting than the trig points
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

01-03-2015, 12:48 PM

Entry:- 010315
The flag above the garage flaps angrily in the strong East wind, I leave the shelter of the house and step out onto the street to meet my swirling gusty competitor for this morning. It seems to blow in all directions as I jog through the village and out past the church. It creates harmonies in the telegraph wires that accompany me out to the remote farmhouse on the outskirts of the village.
I pass over the level crossing and on to the long straight country road; it’s slightly raised and gives a good vista of surrounding fields and distant hedgerows, it also provides no resistance to the winds relentless buffeting.
A brilliant sunrise greets me on the distant horizon, a large orange ball not quite raised above the faraway trees, I half expect the wind to blow it, rolling along the horizon, but in a few minutes it has risen higher into the clouds that now partly obscure it. The wind is behind me on this stretch of open road, it pushes at my back and I try to slow the pace, it will be hard in my face when I return and my legs are failing from the nine and a half miles I have planned for this mornings LSD [Long Slow Distance...Slow being the operative word].
As I join the canal bank, there is no reflection from the grey ruffled surface that slaps loudly into the the small dock on the far side. Some fence posts that were laid on the bank last week now dance on the surface of the water, held prisoner by the barbed wire still attached and fouled on the bottom. The wind still lends a helping hand with my pace, but soon we must face each other in combat when I turn for home.
The grey clouds I spotted in the distance draw a little closer and I feel the cold embrace of raindrops on my face and legs, but they have soon passed as I join the road in the next village. Again my thoughts return to Sandra as I pass by her house, but they are short lived and I turn onto Plumtree Road [the title of this course] and the strong crosswind that has me reeling into the verge. I regain my balance and lean into the wind, but as the road curves to the right I hit the gale face on, it practically stops me dead as it gusts and swirls tugging at my jacket and shorts. I thrust my legs out in defiance and make it to the far bend and the shelter of a high Hawthorne hedge, once again my shoes tap out a rhythm on the tarmac and breathing returns to normal.
Seagulls hover overhead, hanging on the wind, hardly a flap of their wings keeps them airborne. The church clock strikes eight as I pass by, there are still two miles to go before I pass my village church. I’ve been sheltered while running through the tree lined winding country roads, but now, still feeling good, I turn the corner on to the long straight section: and face the gale head on. I push on up the rise to the crest, the wind tries it’s best to beat me into submission, I dig in and resist. With legs still strong, I even speed up the pace, a smile enters my face as I descend the small hill and ease off, ‘If it didn’t stop me going up the climb, it certainly won’t stop me going down’.
I enter the village and cruise home, the house is empty, and as I unlock the door and step inside I am overcome with the silence. Maddie [the cat] yawns and stares at me from her basket, we’ve both earned a good rest today.

Page 9 of 190 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top