Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 07:15 PM

Re: My first Vegan dish!

Cassie - Being omnivores we 'can' eat both - and sheep graze on grass all day long we don't! I'm sure if they had to eat the same veg as us their teeth would be different (but they don't).

Buzzie - I love the taste of candyfloss but I don't eat it. Point being I am thinking about the bigger picture. If you're feeling brave check out this vid

Warning contains graphic images

buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 07:41 PM

I'm from Chicago, the meat packing center and I've seen videos of pigs going to slaughter.....screaming and the screaming has stayed with me for 40 years.

We say we love animals and allow this to be. I eat very little red meat but lots of chicken, fish and pork for my health with no thought of the animals. I work for better conditions for the animals, remember when all or at least most were able to graze and were free. Cows and pigs are in such tight quarters now that most cannot turn around. California is working hard to change things along with other states and I hope they do but it will be a fight close to war.

I confess I did not watch the enitre video, I'm chichen I guess. I have a friend working very hard on me to give up chicken and I just might do it but I will have a long talk with my Dr. first.

Thanks so much for the video. I have given up so much food that I love, that I don't know if I can take much more.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 09:29 PM

I'm an unrepentant omnivore. I do eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, often fix a meatless dish but only because i's something I like. I do eat very little beef, simply because I don't care that much for it, except the occasional burger, but love my meat, fowl and fish/shellfish.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Cassie - Being omnivores we 'can' eat both - and sheep graze on grass all day long we don't! I'm sure if they had to eat the same veg as us their teeth would be different (but they don't).

Buzzie - I love the taste of candyfloss but I don't eat it. Point being I am thinking about the bigger picture. If you're feeling brave check out this vid

Warning contains graphic images

Please dont waste your time on me Azz!! I made it clear I was pulling your leg and apologised in advance Im quite au fait with the teeth explanation too
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 11:28 AM

I just like food and cooking. What others choose is up to them and I do not make judgements.

If a veggie or even a vegan came here for a meal I would respect that and try to prepare a meal accordingly.

Kosher??-well yes but I would need advance warning to check my sources
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 09:56 PM

I'd never criticize others choices either; they make their decisions and I make mine.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2010, 01:39 AM

Here's another dish, basically made with the leftovers from the first dish in this thread (which I had again yesterday - although this time with more of my own spices and less of the M&S tagine paste).

I used a pack of mixed beans from Waitrose. Put them in the fridge to soak last night, but when I looked today half the water was gone! So topped it up and left it out in the kitchen for around 4-5 hours. Hope that was enough!!!! ...out of all the dishes so far think this was my fave - as it wasn't so spicy but just enough to make give it some flavour.

I fried some more onions, more garlic, added some paprika, salt, pepper, then when that was cooked added yesterdays left over. Then added the cooked beans which I had already boiled for 10 mins, then simmered for around 30 (prob longer). Then added it to the mix and simmered for about half hour (added a bit of water and some more garlic too).

Lets hope I didn't give myself food poisoning
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

05-02-2010, 03:50 AM

You're getting good at adapting recipes to your taste, Azz, That looks tasty,
If you forget to put the beans to soak overnight you can do a quick soak: bring them to a boil then turn off the heat and let them sit for about 3/4 hours or more. Older beans take longer to soak, but who knows how old the beans we buy are?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

05-02-2010, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the tip DM!

I've taken a load more out to soak - this time I put plenty of water in there
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2010, 01:39 PM

Well done Azz, that looks very appetising and nourishing, we'll have to get you a proper chef's hat!

That's a good tip about soaking the beans in hot water Eileen

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top