Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 10:36 AM

Golf Coming Back After Virus!

In the DT, today, they are saying that golf can be back very soon, subject to a few important, early, rules.

The rules include No Touching of flag poles, no using the bunker rakes (it says use your club/feet to do the job), no getting together in the club house before & after.

At our club, most of us in our group of 12, have opted to suspend membership until cleared to restart.

Trick, now, is to decide when the right time is to "un suspend".

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 11:37 AM

Re: Golf Coming Back After Virus!

I don't see any reason why not Ted, unless you touch something that is infected and transfer it to your nose or mouth. I don't think the virus can be readily transmitted outside in the open air. The rules you posted seem quite reasonable to me.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't see any reason why not Ted, unless you touch something that is infected and transfer it to your nose or mouth. I don't think the virus can be readily transmitted outside in the open air. The rules you posted seem quite reasonable to me.
There are many other factors, though, like the Social side (my group of oldies have had every illness known to man, and know every joke).

Then there's the fact that the fairways will be like the M1 for a month or two.

Finally, the financial side. Not as important as the fitness side, but need to be careful as one cannot "suspend" again.

On the other hand, the Club has been brilliant.

They can't open the bar, and are losing money as a result, and they may well have suspended financial payments by a large proportion of members.

Note, in a membership of a thousand plus, this club, probably has 20% over 60. (who may all be locked in at home).

They still have to fully maintain the course.

Getting the balance right? Probably wait & see for a little longer. If it all flares up again, who know?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
There are many other factors, though, like the Social side (my group of oldies have had every illness known to man, and know every joke).

Then there's the fact that the fairways will be like the M1 for a month or two.

Finally, the financial side. Not as important as the fitness side, but need to be careful as one cannot "suspend" again.

On the other hand, the Club has been brilliant.

They can't open the bar, and are losing money as a result, and they may well have suspended financial payments by a large proportion of members.

Note, in a membership of a thousand plus, this club, probably has 20% over 60. (who may all be locked in at home).

They still have to fully maintain the course.

Getting the balance right? Probably wait & see for a little longer. If it all flares up again, who know?
Yes Ted, wait and see what happens seems to be the best approach for now.
I think the local councils could do more than they have been doing. I believe one of the most important bits of information they [together with the local NHS] could deliver would be the location of any local outbreaks. I'm not saying mention any names, but I've just heard that nobody in my village; or the next one, have had any reported cases. A good way to start and relax some of the rules, and allow some businesses to start trading. Or alternatively, tighten them up in a high risk area. Some villages and small towns could even isolate the whole community and not allow outsiders in. After a while these areas could be joined together and gradually wipe out the virus.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 10:57 PM

I know of at least 10 confirmed cases.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 05:05 AM

Both my son and SIL like golf and still play it at least weekly (I think it is a good walk spoiled)

Golf was one of the only sports allowed to continue in Australia during the Covid19 crisis however there are strict rules:

Players are restricted to groups of two and must keep 1.5 metres apart at all times.

Carts cannot be shared, hand sanitiser is freely available, and the clubhouse is closed.

I am surprised that it is shut down in the UK.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 11:56 AM

WHy are golf clubs so snobby?

Let me explain

I had a job to do when with BT at the RAC club in Epsom area. So I walk into the hall and no one about. In one room with a bar there was a guy with a monkey suit behind the bar, so I walked in to be told in no incertain terms " THIS IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY GET OUT"

This was before I even introduced myself and why I was there. No jumped up monkey suited guy is going to talk like that to me, so I said

"ok I'm going, tell the club chairman or whoever is in charge the BT guy came to carry out work and you sent him away" and walked out.

They are so rude, no manners and can't even ask why I was there.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

Let me explain
I can assure you that Australian golf clubs are not at all snobby they are for everybody (well, everybody who wants to play the silly game).

My Leagues Club also owns a golf course though I don't pay for membership of the golf club it costs over $500 (£250) a year compared to $22 for three years membership of the leagues club. Non golf members pay about $25 for a round of golf.

In the Wollongong area there are about 10 golf courses they are like bowls clubs - very popular with the common folk. I only go to a golf club for a social drink a pleasure denied to everyone at the moment
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

07-05-2020, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->

Let me explain

I had a job to do when with BT at the RAC club in Epsom area. So I walk into the hall and no one about. In one room with a bar there was a guy with a monkey suit behind the bar, so I walked in to be told in no incertain terms " THIS IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY GET OUT"

This was before I even introduced myself and why I was there. No jumped up monkey suited guy is going to talk like that to me, so I said

"ok I'm going, tell the club chairman or whoever is in charge the BT guy came to carry out work and you sent him away" and walked out.

They are so rude, no manners and can't even ask why I was there.
There is a reception area.

That would be where they check the credentials of visitors, of any sort.

They will, probably, be checking out how anyone could wander in, off the street, and walk right into the member areas.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2020, 03:11 PM

The entrance hall was right by the car park, no sign saying member entrance or visitors this way, so one assumes that is where one goes. The guy didn't even say or be polite and help a stranger to the correct entrance. Pig ignorance for a man in a monkey suit

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top