Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 01:10 AM

Re: Test Cricket Thread.

Originally Posted by Swannie148 ->
Precisely JBR watching test cricket on the tellie denies you the atmosphere that watching it live offers. Mind you there are also downsides.. like location.. sitting in the sweltering Aussie sun, uncomfortable plastic seats and waiting interminably in food and drink queues. Another downside, at least at my last live match at our iconic SCG.. was the drunken noise of The Richies.
Jeez swannie, I wouldn't be blushing at The Richies?..Are they all just drunks?..They appear to be at least on a par with the quite organised spectacle of the Barmy Army. They go to a lot of trouble. It's test cricket theatre at it's best. A great tradition that goes back to Yabba and "Leave our bloody flies alone Jardine!".. And they are honouring an immortal of Australian cricket. The Richies make me proud.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

09-07-2020, 01:31 AM

England's hot/cold summer put an early end to the First England/Windies Test with only 17.2 overs bowled on a frustrating day at Southampton. At stumps England had already lost a trimmer Dom Sibley. Scoreline reads 1-35.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

09-07-2020, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Jeez swannie, I wouldn't be blushing at The Richies?..Are they all just drunks?..They appear to be at least on a par with the quite organised spectacle of the Barmy Army. They go to a lot of trouble. It's test cricket theatre at it's best. A great tradition that goes back to Yabba and "Leave our bloody flies alone Jardine!".. And they are honouring an immortal of Australian cricket. The Richies make me proud.
Keezoy I was within spitting distance of them and once they got stuck into the ambler liquid they become a drunken rabble. I too want to be proud of what they represent but only if they are given a drink limit. They were an embarrassment once pi**ed to the gills.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 05:38 AM

I was a fanatical Test match follower! To me it was THE game of all types. It was 'chess on grass'! The 20/20's are a bit like baseball which I never got enthusiastic about even when I was a kid in New York and my dad took me to a few games. My dad played for the Royal Navy and I rose to the heights of the Auckland Secondary Schools team and later in England I played for thr Brighton Arrows.
I watch rugby (both codes) but hardly ever football (as in soccer).
Rather sadly , nowadays you get a much better view on TV but it's true not the atmosphere of the crowd,
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I have never been to India - to one of their mega grounds. I've seen Lords and The Oval - empty. But I've never seen a test anywhere else but Australia. But I tell you if you only get one chance in your life, try to see an Ashes Test at The Gee at full capacity. It is almost overwhelming. Only once for me. The Centenary Test, MCG 1977 . I was very lucky to get a ticket. Never forget it.
Randall scored 174 and doffed his cap to Lillee after receiving a bouncer.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Swannie148 ->
Precisely JBR watching test cricket on the tellie denies you the atmosphere that watching it live offers. Mind you there are also downsides.. like location.. sitting in the sweltering Aussie sun, uncomfortable plastic seats and waiting interminably in food and drink queues. Another downside, at least at my last live match at our iconic SCG.. was the drunken noise of The Richies.
Ah, but we don't have sweltering Aussie sun here!

I'd also like to add that county matches can be just as exciting and interesting, especially when Yorkshire beats Lancashire (as usually happens). The other counties, of course, are nowhere.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

10-07-2020, 02:05 AM

[QUOTE=Swannie148;1930970]Keezoy I was within spitting distance of them and once they got stuck into the ambler liquid they became a drunken rabble. I too want to be proud of what they represent but only if they are given a drink limit. They were an embarrassment once pi**ed to the gills.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

10-07-2020, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Ah, but we don't have sweltering Aussie sun here!

I'd also like to add that county matches can be just as exciting and interesting, especially when Yorkshire beats Lancashire (as usually happens). The other counties, of course, are nowhere.
I know I saw quite a bit of cricket when in England back in the 80s. A group of us Aussies enjoyed driving into the country and catching a local village match somewhere. Weather permitting. I also saw a county match between Middlesex and someone as I worked in M/Sex for a time.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

10-07-2020, 02:13 AM

England has been rolled for a measly 204 in the first Test. The Windies bowlers sure enjoyed the murky conditions at Southampton with England having little answer to the seam and swing on offer. At stumps the Windies were 1- 57 in reply and likely to build strongly on that as a fine day is forecast today.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

11-07-2020, 01:37 AM

Archer goes wicketless as Windies build a solid lead in the First Test. After two murky days the sun finally shone on the Rose Bowl and on the Windies batting with solid contributions from most batsmen. At stumps England is 0-15 in their second innings.. trailing by 99 runs.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top