Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 06:51 PM

Door locks

Let me start off by saying this has been annoying me for the past 6 years since we moved in
The back door porch outer door frame as out by at least half an inch between top and bottom. Another Mr bodget cheap jobs the previous owner
the main door handle and lock line up ok see below

but the top yale type lock was as least 1/4" out. Now Sue didn't want me to fix it, but at last I have this wseekend free as she has gone to sort out sons house he is selling

so first thing was to pack out the striker plate and bring it forward and remove the main lock part the key goes into.
Next was to make the recess deeper so both sides line up.
Now can have a double lock on this outer door

not as dirty as in the photo

Tomorrow just a case of tidying up around it and a clean/touch up with white paint
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 07:11 PM

Re: Door locks

Wouldn't it have been better to put a brand new lock on the door?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 07:25 PM

Normally I would agree, but thanks to Mr Bodget it is not possible. Doubt very much if it they make that size any more to start with and even if they do the specification might be different. I did fit a new front where the key goes in

Mags to be honest if could afford it the whole back door porch needs replacing. Where the tiled roof meets the house wall all they used was cement instead of proper lead flushing.

the original gutter one was brown and the other black which leaked on the corner and sloped the wrong way. Just another job I had to fix
That partucular door had a damn great cat flap in it whch didn't work and letting the outside air in. Best I could do without replacing the whole door

It covered thje two frame supports either side and took out the quadrant and bits of those uprights as well
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 07:28 PM

Maybe not wise to criticise the previous owner on an open forum, RS
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 08:43 PM

I have installed literally hundreds of door locks and I can tell you that the single most important thing to make it strong is to use super long screws in the door jam side.
Merely drill out the holes THINNER than the screws you use.

PS: given the photos I see, it would be incredibly easy for a bad guy to knock out one small window pane and reach inside to open BOTH locks. Unless you remove the key in the lower lock every time you lock the door.

Having said that, if a bad guy really, really wants to break-in, nothing in the world is going to stop him. The trick is to make it as difficult as possible for a burglar and MAYBE he will pick an easier target.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

19-09-2020, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have installed literally hundreds of door locks and I can tell you that the single most important thing to make it strong is to use super long screws in the door jam side.
Merely drill out the holes THINNER than the screws you use.

PS: given the photos I see, it would be incredibly easy for a bad guy to knock out one small window pane and reach inside to open BOTH locks. Unless you remove the key in the lower lock every time you lock the door.

Having said that, if a bad guy really, really wants to break-in, nothing in the world is going to stop him. The trick is to make it as difficult as possible for a burglar and MAYBE he will pick an easier target.
he then is only in the porch, to get in the house would mean getting past another more secure door without easy access to anything. By this time Teazle will be barking the house down
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 03:20 PM

I can't see the pictures of the repair. I hope you didn't bodge anything.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

22-09-2020, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It looks like RS has removed his photos, LD.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2020, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

I can't see any pictures at all in the first post?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

22-09-2020, 03:52 PM

They were left on for a short time only for security reasons

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top