Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Re: Gymslips

I wore a gym slip - oh the memories you have brought back!! I loved wearing one at primary school but hated them at high school!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 09:53 PM

Used to wear one at Primary School-wasn't uniform but I just liked them.

At Secondary School it was bottle green skirt with cardigan and like a gold coloured blouse, with a bottle green tie with gold stripes....hated the colours! Couldn't afford the blouse from the only shop that sold them, so my Mum used to dye a white blouse.....that was ok till they faded!!!!
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2010, 09:40 AM

My school uniform was bottle green including the tie.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Did you go to an all boys school Losos?

A gymslip is a sleeveless all in one dress .....

whereas a skirt ...... is a skirt!

It's amazing what you can learn on the Over50s!
Thank you Mags for explaiing that, and yes it was an all boys school, I don't feel I've 'lost out' by having done so, we did't have the distraction of girls so we concentrated harder on our studies (Well most of us did) I have no problem with mixed schools, the problem I've always had is with stupid politicians trying to ram their own prejudices down other peoples throats.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2010, 06:18 PM

Ah gymslips, what pleasant memories of us lads watching the girls coming home from the nearby convent school in their navy blue gymslips. My Sister used to buy a comic book and it featured a serial called 'The four Marys', they all wore them. Mary Simson (I think her name was) was the one I fancied, there was a silly one called Mary Cotter if I'm not mistaken. I used to sneek a look at it every week, but I must stress I never fancied wearing one meself.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2010, 06:29 PM

I used to read the 'Four Marys' was it Bunty or Judy?
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2010, 06:31 PM

I enjoyed Bunty in which the 4 Marys featured.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2010, 04:36 PM

Some `posh` girls` schools still exist.And so does the uniform.

A gels uniform is worn with pride-and reflects by the way it is worn the standards of a lady and all that entails.

It is designed to make a gel look entirely unsexy as she should be doing her homework and not looking for other forms of distraction.

Time enough to go to Oxbridge and meet a nice sort of chap with loads of money and have babies.

Ok maybe not so much now but 40 years ago is nothing and it was not uncommon then
Dancingsky
None

21-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
Some `posh` girls` schools still exist.And so does the uniform.

A gels uniform is worn with pride-and reflects by the way it is worn the standards of a lady and all that entails.

It is designed to make a gel look entirely unsexy as she should be doing her homework and not looking for other forms of distraction.

Time enough to go to Oxbridge and meet a nice sort of chap with loads of money and have babies.

Ok maybe not so much now but 40 years ago is nothing and it was not uncommon then
Our Head Mistress used to stand outside Woolworths after school and God help any of us gals if we ventured into that store in our uniforms! It certainly wasn't the place for pupils of the Ladies College!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2010, 05:07 PM

used to stand outside Woolworths

Bad form going into such a place-there was a woolies directly opposite my old school-and that was most certainly out of bounds

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top