Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2012, 09:00 PM

Prepared meals.

We had a hectic day today didn't even have time to eat lunch.
We were both worn out and I could not be bothered to cook an evening meal.
So we called into Sainsbury's and picked up some freshly prepared food. Not something I have done in many a long year, mostly because of the quality of the food in the past.

Anyway we had Sainsbury's own Cannelloni with a spinach and ricotta filling and garlic ciabatta.
I was very pleased with it, it had lots of tasty filling and a nice light sauce, the pasta was nice and thin.

Has anyone any experience of these meals and any recommendations.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2012, 09:58 PM

Re: Prepared meals.

Hi mall I eat quite a lot of Sainsburys ready meals as on the days I work I don't have time to cook in the evening. They are all of a good quality but some are high fat so as I have a cholesterol problem I stick to the Be Good to Yourself range. I think all Sainsburys own brand is really good.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2012, 10:22 PM

Yes, I occassionally buy Sainsbury's prepared food. Let's be honest, even when you are retired, there are some days you just don't want to cook Some are quite tasty and you can't fault the quality.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2012, 10:25 PM

Thanks Val. It was the Be Good To Yourself range that I bought. My husband has a cholesterol problem too, so I am careful about fat content. It looks like I hit lucky then. We will be going back for more.
mesco m
manchester

24-11-2012, 10:30 PM

True Jan, I don't always feel like cooking but my husband is not a bad cook so he does it sometimes. But we can both take a break now we have found some decent prepared food.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2012, 11:25 PM

My OH used to be a chef in the Army (TA) before they kicked him out for being too old. You'd never know it though - he never does any cooking here & wont eat any ready meals so I have to cook even if I don't feel like it. The only "cooking" he does is if ive gone out over lunch time & he'll do beans on toast
Heaven knows how he would manage if I went away for a week - well I do know- I'd have to cook meals & freeze them before I went away & tell him exactly which was which in the freezer
Anji0007
Wales UK
Anji0007 is female  Anji0007 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2012, 06:29 PM

I do bulk cooking, i make enough for 2 meals, i freeze them, i havent had a problem with anything i have cooked & frozen, & it's handy if you have been out all day or been busy,
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2012, 11:38 AM

Not too keen on these 'ready meals' they don't look big enough to fill the hollow in my tooth, let alone my stomach. On discharge from Hospital last December I did have to have meals delivered to me by Wilshire Farm Foods for several days. Their meals were fine, but yet again were somewhat on the small side for my appetite.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Back on the Sainsburys theme I think their traffic light system for content is excellent and should be widely adopted as has been suggested already in the news. The Be Good to Yourself range is fantastic for many different foodstuffs and is really useful to me for cutting down on saturated fats. For example they even do bacon where they have cut off all the fat bringing it down to "Green". Just as tasty and who wants all the fatty bits anyway.
The Dog Lover
Watford

26-11-2012, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
My OH used to be a chef in the Army (TA) before they kicked him out for being too old. You'd never know it though - he never does any cooking here & wont eat any ready meals so I have to cook even if I don't feel like it. The only "cooking" he does is if ive gone out over lunch time & he'll do beans on toast
Heaven knows how he would manage if I went away for a week - well I do know- I'd have to cook meals & freeze them before I went away & tell him exactly which was which in the freezer
I would put my foot down Lynne and make him do his share. Tell him "Its your turn to cook or its a ready meal as I don't feel like cooking" Why let hm have it all his own way. I must admit I was spoilt as my late OH did all the cooking but I do believe chores should be shared.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top