Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
tyrell
South Eat England
tyrell is male  tyrell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 04:18 AM

Christmas & Winter Driving

Anytime of year is bad enough to have a breakdown or an accident in your car but at Christmas time it's even more stressful. Working as I do in a Motorway Control Room seeing and dealing with what we have to makes me want to remind all drivers and riders to take extra care at this time of year.

Also make sure your vehicle is ready for winter, check the oil and water, antifreeze , screen wash check your tyres and all the other things we normally don't do. Carry some spare coats and warm clothes in the vehicle in case you breakdown or get stuck somewhere. Take your medication with you just in case especially if you are going on a long trip, listen to all the traffic news you can before you set out,
And if you don't have Breakdown Cover shop around and get some it will be the best thing you've done especially if you are unfortunate enough to breakdown at this time of year. Nearly forgot to mention, make sure you don't run out of petrol/ diesel, as believe it or not there are some drivers out there who un- believable as it is run out of fuel.
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

01-12-2014, 06:42 AM

Re: Christmas & Winter Driving

Excellent advice. I carry a flashlight, a small shovel for digging out of snow, extra tissues, a couple of ice scrapers, and of course my mobile phone. New England winters can be brutal.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 08:27 AM

I try to avoid driving in really bad weather. It makes me really scared if it's icey. Hopefully we'll have a mild Winter
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I try to avoid driving in really bad weather. It makes me really scared if it's icey. Hopefully we'll have a mild Winter
Me too but I won't have a choice this year I now have to drive to work in the evenings. Dreading it if we get snow.
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 02:05 PM

The roads would be a lot safer in really bad weather if that was everybodies attitude. Good for you alice76!
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 06:48 PM

Agree, although according to the long range forecast we will get a lot of rain , but will be milder then last few Winters .
Fingers crossed they are right. An extra bonus would the be that fuel bills will be lower.
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

01-12-2014, 07:57 PM

Yes, those fuel bills can be awful. Personally, I have no use whatsoever for Winter.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 08:29 PM

I heeded a snow warning by the Government last year. The warning said that anyone travelling in icy conditions should carry:
A shovel, blankets or sleeping bag, extra clothing including scarf, hat and gloves as well as 24 hours supply of food and drink, a de-icer, 5Kgs of rock salt, a torch or lantern with spare batteries Plus Road flares and reflective triangles, a tow rope,
a 5 gallon petrol jerry can, a first aid kit and jump leads, etc.

I felt a complete prat on the bus!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
I heeded a snow warning by the Government last year. The warning said that anyone travelling in icy conditions should carry:
A shovel, blankets or sleeping bag, extra clothing including scarf, hat and gloves as well as 24 hours supply of food and drink, a de-icer, 5Kgs of rock salt, a torch or lantern with spare batteries Plus Road flares and reflective triangles, a tow rope,
a 5 gallon petrol jerry can, a first aid kit and jump leads, etc.

I felt a complete prat on the bus!!
Love that one VM.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2014, 10:34 PM

Having spent the last twelve years in the foothills of the Jizerka mountains in Eastern Europe where we always had at least two foot of snow and the roads were covered in ice from January to March it has become 'normal' to carry all the things mentioned.

I would also add that in those countries it is mandatory to have the so called 'winter tyres' which is something I now have fitted to my cars all year round.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top